Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody ever make cheese?  (Read 7167 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Anybody ever make cheese?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:21:45 pm »
Poutine
You know Poutine in Illinois?  Wow, I'm seriously impressed.

Oh, man I love Poutine, but I've never been to Canada, or had the real thing (so I suppose I may be doing it wrong). My girlfriend and I wanted to make something for the last Winter Olympics, and thought Poutine was the perfect dish. It is really good, and what's not to like? Fresh cheese, gravy, fries. Grab a beer, put some curling on, or hockey, and I'm in heaven.

Cheers,
Kyle

this actually highlights my one brush with non-vegetarian food. A place in Burlington VT, Nectars, does fries with gravy and/or cheese sauce and I would on occasion gorge myself on that. In my defense, I was usually under the influence of one or another substances. It was highschool after all. And Vermont is NEARLY Canada. ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:21 am »
Mmmmm poutine.   My friends are from outside Montreal and had talked about getting Poutine when we visited them.  I had no idea what it was but to me the name Poutine doesnt sound like it would be fries cheese and gravy.  Poutine is delicious.  We have something similar in Jersey called Disco Fries.  There have been many a drunken night in a diner eating Disco Fries.  I havent had either in such a long time.....Im am so hungry for some now.

Cheese is definitely something I would like to make soon.  Add that to the long list of everything else I want to make myself.
Mark

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 09:05:25 am »
I just bought the "Au Pied de Cochon: The Album" cookbook and will be trying my hand at the foie gras poutine soon-ish. Are there any recipes out there for JUST cheddar cheese curds, like what you would use in Poutine?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 09:51:17 am »
I just bought the "Au Pied de Cochon: The Album" cookbook and will be trying my hand at the foie gras poutine soon-ish. Are there any recipes out there for JUST cheddar cheese curds, like what you would use in Poutine?

I think, for curds you just stop prior to the cheddering step (where you repeatedly cut the hardening curd into slabs and stack them)

after you get curds to form and you cut them into little chunks, just let it drain some, package and age a bit.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 06:23:19 am »
If anyone has a recipe to make Cotija cheese, please share. My wife and I love this stuff.