Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Headspace question  (Read 1799 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Headspace question
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:58:18 pm »
I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of Dunkelweizen last night. OG=1.053, pitched 1 smackpack of Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian Wheat) that I had smacked and brought to room temp about 5 hours prior to pitching. (I am trying to pitch on the low side a bit to maximize the ester profile in the finished beer). Wort was 66F when I pitched and put it in my basement overnight to hold the ambient temp in the mid 60's.

Here's my dilemma. I am fermenting this 5 gallon batch in my 6 gallon carboy. I didn't catch this blurb on the yeast description at the Wyeast site ( http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=59 ) until this morning:

This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

I used Fermcap, but will that be enough to let me get away with half as much headspace as I need? Or should I rack this to my 6.5gal fermenter ASAP to prevent a massive blowoff? Thanks in advance.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Headspace question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:02:27 pm »
I just brewed a 5 gallon batch of Dunkelweizen last night. OG=1.053, pitched 1 smackpack of Wyeast 3638 (Bavarian Wheat) that I had smacked and brought to room temp about 5 hours prior to pitching. (I am trying to pitch on the low side a bit to maximize the ester profile in the finished beer). Wort was 66F when I pitched and put it in my basement overnight to hold the ambient temp in the mid 60's.

Here's my dilemma. I am fermenting this 5 gallon batch in my 6 gallon carboy. I didn't catch this blurb on the yeast description at the Wyeast site ( http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=59 ) until this morning:

This is true top cropping yeast and requires fermenter headspace of 33%.

I used Fermcap, but will that be enough to let me get away with half as much headspace as I need? Or should I rack this to my 6.5gal fermenter ASAP to prevent a massive blowoff? Thanks in advance.

I am not sure how much help the extra .5 gallon is going to be. I would set up a blowoff rig if you can. If you do decide to transfer I don't actually think, at this point, before fermentation has taken off, that there would be any problem with just pouring it into the new carboy.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce