Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: On This Day in 1989...  (Read 11674 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
Re: On This Day in 1989...
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2012, 10:21:14 pm »
To the best of my recollection, it was late 1981 with some of my college room mates.  When we graduated and moved our separate ways, I kept the gear and carried on the tradition. Just brewed batch 297 yesterday.

You and Denny are making me wish I'd have kept track of the numbers. I have no idea how many I might have made. I AM busy trying to make up for all that lost time though!
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2012, 11:05:04 pm »
Diane, has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to Clayton Moore?   :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 11:27:52 pm »
Late August or early September 2006. I got my friend a really basic kit for his birthday, and we brewed an extract plus steeping grains Nut Brown Ale from a kit we got at Oak Barrel in Berkeley. Upon the urging of the cashier, we added 1/2 cup of brown sugar during the boil. It was great. I couldn't believe how well it turned out - in retrospect, the cool temperature of my friend's closet is probably the cause. We brewed once a week for about a year, before I moved  away. He doesn't brew anymore, but I took it up again after I moved.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2012, 12:45:09 am »
I'm not 100% sure - I believe it was September or October of 1990.  A dark beer from the Charlie's book, that I added some brown sugar to.  And brown hops, because that's what color hops were.  It was very drinkable, I was hooked from the first batch.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2012, 02:18:51 am »
for beer, I think it was winter of 2006/2007. It was the alton brown pale ale recipe. living in Dorchester, MA. got the goods at a LHBS in cambridge.

but I tried to make mead about 4 times in 2000ish.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2012, 06:51:59 am »
July 5th, 2010. 

I remember it because I had off from work.  My wife (girlfriend at the time) took me on a brewery tour and I wanted to make beer myself, so I purchased a beer kit with an Amber Ale Extract recipe fro monsterbeer or monsterbrew.com (Can't remember).  It consisted of a can of hopped malt extract with a 1oz package of generic "bittering" hops.

I only probably boiled about a gallon (for a 5 gallon batch), don't think I cooled it down enough, and pitched the dry yeast right on top of the wort.  Somehow though, it made beer, and it may have not been the best, but in my eyes it was damn good. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2012, 07:53:55 am »
My first batch was the spring of 2006. My wife knew that I loved beer and I wanted to start brewing so she bought me a Mr. beer kit and ingredients for an ESB for Christmas.  I finally made the ESB in the spring and it came out surprisingly good.  Unfortunately and fortunately I didnt read the directions to well and I put the "fermenter" in the dishwasher.  It warped and was pretty much destroyed.  I needed to get another, better setup, which came from Alternative Beverage.  The first beer I brewed using my setup from there was a stout. I remember that I was surprised that it came with a licorice stick. I was torn whether to put it in the beer or eat it. Mmmm licorice. I put it in the beer and the stout was delicious.
Mark

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:03 am »
Diane, has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to Clayton Moore?   :D

In real life, she has no Native American sidekick, though.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2012, 10:59:40 am »

Thank you for the compliment! Actually, that's not me. That's a reminder of how I should live.......
Keep facial hair to a minimum, try to look good in tight pants and always do what's right.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2012, 11:07:59 am »

Thank you for the compliment! Actually, that's not me. That's a reminder of how I should live.......
Keep facial hair to a minimum, try to look good in tight pants and always do what's right.

excellent philosphy!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 11:12:29 am »
a reminder of how I should live.......

That's a sig line right there!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 11:43:55 am »
A roommate of mine bought a kit from Midwest back in 2005.  I helped him brew the extract amber ale.  We did everything the instructions said, fermented, bottled, and let it sit for 2 weeks.  We opened a the first bottles and it was cloudy and yeasty and not good.  We were discouraged and decided to let it sit for a month.  Came back to it and it was clear and good! 
That planted the seed for me, but I didn't start brewing myself until October of 2008.  I brewed Midwest's Irish Red.  It didn't turn out very good and my next 1 or 2 batches turned out kind of bad also, but I eventually got it.  I went all grain after about 5 batches. 
Jesse

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 11:50:01 am »
My first was in March of 1998.  415 more since then.

Well, you and I have a lot in common, except for the 407 batches in between me using a Mr. Beer kit around the same time you started, then doing nothing until last month.  8) 
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 11:54:40 am »
My first batch was in the spring of 1998 and was a honey porter recipe from the local homebrew store in Tampa, FL.  I don't know how many batches I've brewed since I didn't keep good records until I went all-grain 6 years ago, 137 batches since then.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 12:38:55 pm »
I think I started in '94 or '95.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO