Author Topic: On This Day in 1989...  (Read 4991 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in 1989...
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »
December 1992.  My wife bought me a kit and supplies from a guy trying to start a homebrew store.  His methods were as good as his ingredients.  Take one can of Coopers malt(prehopped),pour into 2 gallons of water, heat on stove but do not let it boil.  Add 2 pounds of corn sugar, dissolve and let this cool on the stove for 2 hours.  Then add 3 gallons of cold water to the plastic bucket(which I still use today). Stir this well and add the little package of yeast from the malt can.  Ferment a week at room temp, then rack to secondary-he preferred the collapsible water bags for camping.  That was some yummy stuff I'm sure but we drank it and loved it.  2 more batches like this and I moved on to steeped grains, all malt extract, and adding hops.  Believe it or not this made better beer and I was hooked.
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 07:00:12 AM »
1986 IIRC. A generic PA liquid malt recipe that can with "the kit".

..... that I had bought from Alternative Beverages.

In Charlotte? I have bought a ton of stuff from them over the years. Online and road trip.

Yep, that's the place.  There were no HBSSes in Orlando back then.  I bought a lot of equipment and supplies from them the first few years I brewed.  The UPS driver and I became good friends.  I taught him how to brew.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline brewmonk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Norcia, Italy
    • View Profile
    • Birra Nursia
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 07:48:36 AM »
June 2010.  Coopers Stout Kit.  Making it I was the antithesis of RDWHAHB.  But the relief of trying it and being pretty happy that I had brewed my first beer and it I liked it was a great feeling! \o/

And I did it in Italy of all places.  Not bad for a Texas boy!

Now if I can just get into all grain.  8)
Br. Francis
Birra Nursia

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:58 AM »

And I did it in Italy of all places.  Not bad for a Texas boy!

Now if I can just get into all grain.  8)

Andiamo yall!   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
Hi, My name is Tony and I'm a brewing addict...

I started making beer with some friends that had all of the brewing equipment around 1999/2000. I didn't do much, washed bottles, measured ingredients, etc but i was still part of the process and I knew i enjoyed doing it.

We then moved and about 10 yrs later my wife bought me a Mr. Beer as a joke. We followed the kit instructions, it came out pretty terrible but I was hooked again and ordered a full brewing kit from williams...
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Bottled:
Grandpa Louie's Cream Ale
Eagle Point Pale Ale

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • I must live here
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:04 AM »
My first was in March of 1998.  415 more since then.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

Offline udubdawg

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 09:41:08 AM »
sometime in September, 2004.  7-8 batches a year for most of that. 
Then March 19th 2011 I got serious.  Including batch 99 which is chilling right now, 49 batches in that year.  I should stop typing and start drinking!   8)

cheers--
--Michael

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
November 2005; Midwest's Big River Brown Ale kit.  It wasn't half bad, so I decided to brew 131 more batches over the next several years. 8)
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »
It was in June of 1992. I brewed 5 gal using some of John Bull's English Bitter Extract. I believe it was a Red Star dry yeast packet that I sprinked over the wort. Fermented in my basement at the time. The first batch wasn't too bad but I remember having a few not so good batches back then. I use to pitch around 75F.  ::)
Ron Price

Offline ckpash88

• Brewer
    • View Profile
On This Day in 1989...
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
I started brewing dec. of 2008 and it was the liberty cream ale kit from Midwest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the Universe

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 11:10:41 AM »
Jan. 1, 1990.

My girlfriend got me my first kit for my birthday (so I had to marry her!).

I found the old brewing log.  An amber ale that we bottled on the 5th day  :o .  We had to check it for carbonation every day.  We were very unimpressed.

Then we found the last 6-pack about a month later and it was goooooooood.  Which started my brewing motto, "brew early and brew often!"

Cheers!
Brew on

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 11:54:40 AM »
I thought it was "enter early and enter often."  :D

How is the brewery / man-cave construction coming?

Back to topic. Mine was fall 1989. I brewed an extract ESB kit from Alternative Beverages in Charlotte, NC. It was good enough to get me hooked. I am on my 2nd wife (this one is a keeper), 3rd kid, and 3rd house since then.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank

Fermenting: McChouffe clone, Samiclaus clone
Conditioning: Belgian Tripel, Barrel Aged Baltic Porter - in sherry barrel, Belgain Easter Ale
On tap: CAP, Dortmunder Export, IIPA, Dubbel Chocolate Stout, Wee Heavy, Whiskey barrel aged Wee Heavy, Baltic Porter
Newly Bottled:

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 12:35:19 PM »
Keep yourself safe over there ST87!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
1973. 1st trip to England with my Brit hubby. Fell in love with all things Pub and beer. Took home 2 cans of "Boots
Chemists" malt extract...yes, the yeast was attached. Life ensued and after several moves, decided it was time to make that beer..circa 1977. Followed the directions to the "T". Bottled in carefully collected swing top bottles. Voila!
Nothing, nada, no bubbles at all. Decided there just wasn't any viable yeast there, so we dropped a couple of raisins into each bottle (grapes have naturally occurring yeast on the skins don't you know....and raisins have sugar. Brilliant!!! A year later, went to the basement pantry where they had been forgotten about. Every bottle looked like someone had taken a glass cutter and neatly severed off the bottle bottom with the top completely in tact. Never did completely get all the solidified beer off that floor. (Boy, those Grolsch tops sure do seal though!)

Sometime in the 80's, still missing real ale, got serious. Bought a fresh can of extract and yeast from a real home brew store. Once again followed the directions...but augmented with having read a couple of books...the original "Joy" and Dave Line's "Big Book" I was now armed to make real beer. The secret was obviously more extract!

The beer was surprisingly drinkable (I was intrigued) but I needed a real mentor. I managed to find the Minnesota Home Brewers Assoc. and the rest as they say is history. Those wonderfully amusing and witty guys, with all their cobbled together kegs and dairy auction bits and bobs were the most genuine and fun
group of people I've ever been fortunate enough to spend time with. They embraced a noob (a girl even), without being intimidating. They made suggestions that made a huge difference in my next batch, and several of them even "adopted" me, helping me acquire a reasonable assemblage of usable brew gear on the cheap. Lot's of fun years as a member there brewing some really great beers, winning a few ribbons and learning, learning, learning.

Around '94, all the gear got moth balled as we were operating our own businesses. Besides, you could now "buy" a lot of really great beer and my favorite Pale Ale was even made locally.

Moved to rural Oregon in '05, and by '07 was ready to have another go at it. One hippy co-op with some brew supplies and no local club. Thank gawd for internet shopping. Found a handful of people who were meeting basically to drink home made beer in the summer of '08 thru a small ad.  Fast forward...2012. The Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild has hosted it's 1st BJCP sanctioned competition, has 30+ members, some fun activities on the 2012 calendar, a lot of enthusiastic noobs, and a mission to teach and share the greatest hobby on the planet.

Currently, I have beers 3 on tap, one conditioning and two new sight glasses to install. Life is Good!
Thanks to all you guys who have and continue to share so much enthusiasm and knowledge about our beloved brews and brewing. Luv you all. ;)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2012, 08:39:33 PM »
To the best of my recollection, it was late 1981 with some of my college room mates.  When we graduated and moved our separate ways, I kept the gear and carried on the tradition. Just brewed batch 297 yesterday.

Cascade Brewers Society