Author Topic: On This Day in 1989...  (Read 5810 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in 1989...
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »
a reminder of how I should live.......
Keep facial hair to a minimum, try to look good in tight pants and always do what's right.

That's a sig line right there!

I'll ponder that Denny, but I wouldn't want to draw attention to my shortcomings. So far I figure both you and I are "barely" hitting 1 out of 3, and you're probably running slightly ahead regarding minimal facial hair. ;)
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 06:50:40 PM »
October 7, 1989 1:43 pm - Lindsay, ON

Tried a "Canadian Lager" kit from the hardware store.  Practically no sanitation, stirred it with an arrow that we ran back and forth over the kitchen stove.  Fermented in a water jug with a cork that didn't fit but we tried to seal it with tape and hot glue.  Let it go a few days, tried it, dragged it outside and dumped it all. 

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
Not hard for me to remember, December 26th, 2011. Brewers Best Oatmeal Stout. Read about 12 pages of Charlie P's book and went for it. No chilling, temp control, or much of an idea what I was doing. Needless to say it wasn't great. I drank it though. And I read books. Lots of 'em. Listened to about 12,000,000 hrs of Jamil and Palmer on my mp3 player (I can do that at work. So I got that goin for me, which is nice). And brewed. And bought things. And brewed. And read. And obsessed. Starters. Stir-plates. Temp controllers. Cheap fridge. Fermwraps.Wort chillers. Blichmann burners (shiny!). Big pots. Ball valves. Mash Tun.

My last batch (#8) was my first AG beer.

I have no idea how all that happened in 3 months.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
First batch was January 2010. Got a basic kit for Christmas 2009. I brewed the Belgian Dubbel from Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles and it didnt turn out bad since Belgian yeast doesn't mind higher ferm temps.  Never did all extract batches and was only on the extract/steeping grain thing for 5 batches until moving to all grain.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 03:57:41 PM »
October 22, 2011. For Christmas 2010, my aunt got me a copy of "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing." Unfortunately I started preparing for deployment in January 2011, and wasn't able to actually brew until I returned home. I read all the books I could get my hands on, and listened to countless hours of Basic Brewing Radio. As soon as I got home, I bought a starter set and came up with a recipe for an American ESB. Was a little heavy on the hops and extract, so it ended up being a really tasty APA. 5 extract + grain brews to make sure I had a handle on the cold side, and then I went all-grain in 2012. 5 AG Batches down so far, and not a dumper in the bunch!

On the other hand, my wife thinks I brew too much.
In a Keg: Flanders Red Ale, Rye Altbier, Cascade/Topaz Pale
Fermenting: Flanders Red, Saison

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
Did anybody in here learn brewing from Greg Noonan? (Brewing Lager Beer)

I started with The Complete Joy... but, quickly moved on to Greg's book.  John Stuart, the brewer at the Winter Park Mill turned me on to it.  He said, "You want to learn how to brew beer?  Read this."
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 05:48:01 PM »

I started with The Complete Joy... but, quickly moved on to Greg's book.  John Stuart, the brewer at the Winter Park Mill turned me on to it.  He said, "You want to learn how to brew beer?  Read this."

Mostly The Complete Joy then later on John Palmer. In the very beginning I learned from fellow homebrewers then started reading books. The internet was too young in '92.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »
Would you think less of me if I told you I've never even seen John Palmer's book?   :-[

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Delaware
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 06:15:12 PM »
Would you think less of me if I told you I've never even seen John Palmer's book?   :-[

When you come to Seattle you can get one signed by John himself...how about that.  ;)
Ron Price

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »

That was the path I took as well. I also had the pleasure of interviewing Greg via telephone for an article I wrote for BYO in the early 90's.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »

That was the path I took as well. I also had the pleasure of interviewing Greg via telephone for an article I wrote for BYO in the early 90's.
He is (or was) one of my brewing heroes.  Central Florida used to have him come down to Orlando as a speaker each year in the late 90's and early 00's.  I have his autograph in my copy of "Brewing Lager Beer" three times.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline chezteth

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 06:55:25 PM »
I believe I started around 2003.  My wife had actually started brewing a few years before I did.  She joined the SCA, at the suggestion of a friend, to learn how to brew.  As I look back our beers back then were drinkable but not great.  Mostly we fermented too warm which resulted in that lovely estery flavor.  Now we know better.  Man, do I love brewing.  What would I be doing if it wasn't for homebrewing?

Offline punatic

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 06:58:23 PM »

He is (or was) one of my brewing heroes.  Central Florida used to have him come down to Orlando as a speaker each year in the late 90's and early 00's.  I have his autograph in my copy of "Brewing Lager Beer" three times.

I was at that Sunshine Challenge too.  I got to spend a good bit of time with Greg and judge a couple of flights with him.  We became friends.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2012, 07:22:45 PM »

No less of you than you'd think of me for never having seen Charlie's book
Joe

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2012, 10:36:16 PM »
I started with Papazian's back in 93 but JP's HTB has been invaluable. I found the online edition in 07 and was off to the races... ;)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Be Sure To Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!