Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: beer tastes and kinds  (Read 3401 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: beer tastes and kinds
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 01:08:51 pm »
I really like scotch ales! one of my favorites is cold smoke from kettle house. I have never had a dopplebock or a weizenbock but i need to try one. Also the Munich dunkel really struck my interest! I am thinking about maybe brewing a munich dunkel and see how that is! Is there an way to get a yeasty flavor in that though? What I have in mind is like when you pitch the yeast and you can smell yeast... thats kinda what I have in my mind.

What do you guys think of the recipe?

9 Lb munich
5 lb biscuit malt
2 oz chocolate malt or carafa III? would the chocolate malt give more astringency?
8 oz of brow sugar (or maple syrup)? at 15 mins left of boil
1 oz of hallertau at 60 mins
Omega Yeast German Lager I

mash for 60 min or until i hit the OG around 1.067
boil for 90 mins
FG 1.016
IBU 14.7
ABV 7%

and suggestion if there is any way possible to get the the taste of way yeast smells. Maybe thats not possible

I think 5 lbs biscuit malt is way too much. Also, you initially mentioned "yeast" flavors. That is why I recommended a dark German wheat beer. A lager yeast won't give you much in the way of yeast flavors. Also, do you have the temp control necessary to ferment lagers and what size starter are you planning on building?

Offline jrhomebrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:29:23 pm »
I do have a fridge i can control but maybe its not as accrete as i need. Would a Dunkelweizen be what you have in mind? normally for a yeast starter I do 2 cups of water half cup DME bring water to 170 add DME then boil for 10 mins. How does a Dunkelweizen and a munich dunkel differ and what kind of yeast wold your recommend and how much munich if i decide to try a Munich Dunkel?

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 05:21:48 am »
I do have a fridge i can control but maybe its not as accrete as i need. Would a Dunkelweizen be what you have in mind? normally for a yeast starter I do 2 cups of water half cup DME bring water to 170 add DME then boil for 10 mins. How does a Dunkelweizen and a munich dunkel differ and what kind of yeast wold your recommend and how much munich if i decide to try a Munich Dunkel?
German wheat yeast vs Munich Lager?  Yeast flavors vs 'clean' fermentation.  I mean a malty dark wheat beer with soft, malty-sweet beer with turbid powdery yeast that will stay in suspension with banana, clove, bubblegum, and vanilla aromatics vs a crisp malty-sweet beer with no 'yeast' flavors.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 05:25:49 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:24:11 am »

Couple of things: You probably should boil the DME for a couple of minutes at least (I go ten minutes) and a pinch of nutrient is recommended as well. Also, rather than just making an arbitrary sized starter check out the yeast pitching calc at www.mrmalty.com. It will give you the approximate size starter you will need for every batch. Lager starters are generally 1.5-2 times larger than ales since you will be pitching and fermenting around the 50 degree mark.

A Munich Dunkle definitely a lager yeast but a Dunkleweizen you will want a good German Wheat beer strain such as WY3333 or WL300. It's just up to you what you want to brew.

Offline WAbrewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 10:01:37 pm »
Gavroche, made by Brasserie De Saint-Sylvestre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk