Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Report  (Read 5938 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: Water Report
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 10:37:40 am »
The $16.50 that Ward Labs charges is well worth the money, it takes out the guesswork and not having to dump a batch or more trying to get it down right when you could possibly add the wrong salts taking you the wrong direction.  I wish I wouldn't have been so bullheaded and done it sooner, heck I've spent more than that on commercial beer in one weekend.  

Btw, Denny, what is your water report like out there?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 10:51:55 am »
Dean, going from memory, it's on the slightly hard, slightly carbonate side.  pH about 7.4, IIRC.  I used to get a test twice a year, but it's been several years now and I really need to send in another sample.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 11:04:12 am »
You don't have to send in regular samples. Just get a GH&KH test kit and test the water once in a while. If it didn't change you don't need to send in a sample. This also works well for brewers on a water supply that may change with the seasons.

Kai

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 11:08:14 am »
That's a good idea, Kai, and I think that's what I'll do after I send a sample this time.  I'm on a well and the water can change some, so I'd like to establish a current baseline.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 11:09:43 am »
I think I'll pick one up too Kai, I don't know if my water changes with the seasons here or not.  I'm about a half a mile from the Muskegon river so it may.  Is that the test kit sold for fish aquariums?  

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 01:12:47 pm »
Question...  I ordered the kit suggested.  Since I use my outside faucet and I use a carbon filter, should I run the test water to be submitted through the carbon filter outside like when I brew?  Or can I just use my inside water?
Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 01:18:18 pm »
I assume you want to test the water that you're actually using to brew...the filtered water.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 01:36:01 pm »
Is that the test kit sold for fish aquariums? 

Yes. Although there might also be use for that test in pools it is mostly used for aquariums.

Kai

Offline summy

• Cellarman
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Star City Brewers Guild
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 03:43:35 pm »
Yes Denny.  I use the water supply outside my house (same one I use to water plants, wash the car, etc.) run through a carbon filter that came with my B3-1500 from MoreBeer.  Now I assume that that water is the same as the water that comes out of our kitchen sink, but who knows (about the pipes, etc.)?  I'm not sure about how particular they are about the sample that you send into them.
Fementing:
  *Primary -
  *Lagering -

On Tap
 *BPA
 *Denny's BVIP
 *Brunch Stout

In Bottles
 *IIPA
 *RyeIPA
 *Black IPA
 *Red IPA
 *White IPA (entered an all-IPA competition)
  *Kolsch