General Category > All Grain Brewing

Organics

(1/4) > >>

Bret:
I am a Rip-van Winkle brewer--was into the sport bigtime around ten--twelve years ago. LHBS went out of business and I sorta let it go.  A few months ago-SWMBO says, "why don't you homebrew again?" So I am up and running again. Up to my fifth batch.  I do all grain with a BLUE cylindrical cooler, a Phil's phalse bottom and a Phil's sparger. I am curious about a couple of things.  My beers are tasty but seem a little thin in body.  My OGs are coming in on the low side of target.  I am using organic grains exclusively--so far-- and was wondering if anyone using organics notices a lower yield? I used same recipes from years ago--that were idealized with MO 2 row.

I also boil stove top with a 6 gal Volrath SS pot for a brew kettle, and reading here and elsewhere leads me to believe it may be too small?  I don't remember it being a problem during phase 1.

Any comments on reduced efficiency with organic grains? Or with a potentially too-small boil/kettle?  I fill her right up to the brim and whatever is there after 90 min. boil is cooled and pitched.

My instinct is to just use more grain.

denny:
Most of the continental and some of the domestic malts I use are organic and I haven't noticed that.  I think it has more to do with the malt and how it's made than whether or not it's organic.

dean:
What is your recipe and what temperature are you mashing at for how long?  I would think Denny is right but I don't know, I can't afford the organic malts.   ;D

Bret:
Okay thanks for the responses.  It is a German Ale run--a Kolsch, and two Alts--all on WY 1007. Minimal Spalt hops. Mashed Kolsch at 149 F for an hour. A 1/3 lb of wheat added to each recipe.  The Kolsch was 10 lb Pils malt. Alt A has 9 lb pils, 1 lb.munich. ALT B has 9 lb Pils, 2 lbs. munich and a little black malt,  Alt A was mashed at 152 or so for 75 minutes to see if it helps.  The OG was a little higher, but not the .1050 I was hoping for.

Organics are not that much more expensive IMHO. Who said saving the planet would be cheap?

a10t2:

--- Quote from: Bret on January 31, 2010, 12:44:22 PM ---Alt A has 9 lb pils, 1 lb.munich. ALT B has 9 lb Pils, 2 lbs. munich and a little black malt,  Alt A was mashed at 152 or so for 75 minutes to see if it helps.  The OG was a little higher, but not the .1050 I was hoping for.
--- End quote ---

Assuming you're at about 1.048, that's around 65% efficiency. Do you check your mash pH, and/or treat your water? For a relatively light beer it wouldn't be unusual for tap water to pull the pH out of range and contribute to poor efficiency.

--- Quote from: Bret on January 31, 2010, 12:44:22 PM ---Organics are not that much more expensive IMHO. Who said saving the planet would be cheap?
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I'm willing to grant the premise of your question. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version