Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How fast can oxidation happen?  (Read 5861 times)

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
How fast can oxidation happen?
« on: January 31, 2010, 11:55:12 am »
I've just made my first batch of mead and read about the hazards of oxidation with mead.  Since I don't have the CO2 to prevent oxidation I just went ahead and fermented and transferred to a secondary.  Now I'm concerned that I should have heeded the warnings...so first how fast will mead oxidize and how can I tell if I ruined my first batch?   
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: How fast can oxidation happen?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 12:20:33 pm »
Maybe how easily is the question?  I wonder the same thing with beer because I've never been as careful with wine.... don't know about mead.

One good thing, you shouldn't encounter hot side aeration. 

Offline mrdrysdale64

• Cellarman
    • Bay Area Mashtronauts
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:48:40 am »
I've just made my first batch of mead and read about the hazards of oxidation with mead.  Since I don't have the CO2 to prevent oxidation I just went ahead and fermented and transferred to a secondary.  Now I'm concerned that I should have heeded the warnings...so first how fast will mead oxidize and how can I tell if I ruined my first batch?   

One racking should not be enough to cause oxidation especially if you were careful in racking and not causing a lot of splashing. If you know you are going to have to rack multiple times; I would suggest using campden tablets before each racking. It will minimalize oxidation. The only way to tell if this batch is oxidized is to see what it taste like after it has aged. I'm betting you will be fine.  ;)
Mike "Mr. Drysdale" White
Bay Area Mashtronauts

Offline Wheat_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Bad Bunny Brewing
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 04:39:20 pm »
Thanks!  I'll be transferring my mead again this weekend as the last transfer before it sits for the next 6+ months  :'(  My one regret about mead is that it takes so long...
AHA Lifetime Member

Offline skunkboy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 11:30:12 am »
Thanks!  I'll be transferring my mead again this weekend as the last transfer before it sits for the next 6+ months  :'(  My one regret about mead is that it takes so long...

That is why you should run a couple of batches at a time ... ;-)
Bees stole my .sig file