Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's that in my mead?  (Read 3034 times)

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
What's that in my mead?
« on: March 02, 2010, 10:38:37 am »
I've opened a bottle of a mead I made back in Dec 209, and bottled in April 2009.  It was a small test batch to lock down process, and see what mead tastes like.  A sweet still mead.

The taste was nice - sweet, honey aroma, but there was a white film on the mead at the top of the bottle.  Thoughts on what this is and if a potential issue?  I'm was thinking that it was yeast.  There was no carbonation when I opened the bottle.

This was my first mead.  I did not clarify with any finings - a real simple 4 gallons of honey added to 160F water. Here was the 1 gallon recipe:
2 Gal Apple Honey
2 Gal Raspberry Honey
3/4 gal tap water – GE filtered
Yeast – Redstar montradet

1.   Boil 3/4 gal of water, cool to 160F
2.   Add honey and mix well, Cool to 80F
3.   Remove 1 cup of must and add yeast to it
4.   Add 1/2 campden tablet to full must
5.   Wait 15 minutes, take SG
6.   Add must to 1 gallon jug
7.   Pitched yeast @78F

OG: 1.151
FG: 1.051
abv 12%

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: What's that in my mead?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 10:59:16 am »
Hmm, not sure how I feel about the campden addition. Doesn't really seem necessary (of course, I'm also asthmatic so I tend to try and keep sulfites away.

Otherwise, It's possible your white is wax that's survived into the bottle. Of course the other possiblity is a wild yeast or worse an acetobactor (which wouldn't produce any co2). Watch how the taste goes.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 05:43:21 pm »
Hmm, not sure how I feel about the campden addition. Doesn't really seem necessary (of course, I'm also asthmatic so I tend to try and keep sulfites away.

Thanks for the feedback!  Gotta love this forum.

Agree, campden was not needed, and should avoid putting stuff in beverages unless they have a purpose.  I was paranoid about chlorine and infection on first mead.  Since I've switched to no heat, honey and water technique mentioned in Shramm's book. My 2 other meads look (and taste) healthy.

I'm not getting any off flavors or smells.  If acetobactor, I'm guessing vinegar taste/odor would be apparent.

Offline gail

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 08:50:44 pm »
I'm with Drew and thinking it might be the filler from the Campden (waxy and white at the surface of the liquid), especially if you have no funky aromas or flavors as time goes by. 
Gail