Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Please critique this American coffee stout  (Read 2416 times)

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Please critique this American coffee stout
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:41:16 am »
Based on jamils American, with moshers suggestion of IPA hopping schedule, and cold-steeped coffee. 

10.8 lbs light dme
1 lb black roasted barley
.75 lb choc malt
.75 lb crystal 40
1oz northern brewer 60 min
1oz Amarillo 10 min
1 oz simcoe 5min

US05 at 67
Coffee extract and 1oz each Amarillo simcoe in 2ndary for 10 days
Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
Re: Please critique this American coffee stout
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 07:53:39 am »
Well you won't know for certain how this one turns out till you send me a bottle and I critique it for you.  ;D

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:00 pm »
I would say a coffee stout shouldn't be that highly hopped.  I wouldn't think it would a) blend well with the coffee, and b) the coffee adds bitterness/acidity.
Jesse

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:58:58 pm »
I am also in the camp that Hop flavor and Coffee flavor don't seem to go too well together. However, Naked City up in Seattle does a coffee IPA, and I have heard its excellent. In my coffee Stouts/Porters, I usually keep the Hopping to a minimum, opting for an oz or so of a high alpha variety at 60 minutes. I pour a shot of espresso into each bottle to add the coffee flavor, though I am thinking of doing 2-4 cups of cold steeped coffee in my next batch...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »
I think the bittering hops are fine, but I drink my coffee like motor oil so I dig the bitterness. As far as aroma hops go, I think herbal/floral/spicy would work fine in small doses, but I'd stay away from the big citrus/piny hops like the Amarillo and Simcoe you have. Maybe something like 0.5 oz of Fuggles or Tettnang at 10 minutes.

I do like lemon with coffee, so maybe Sorachi Ace would be interesting as an aroma/flavor hop, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that combo.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:49:47 pm »
I am also in the camp that Hop flavor and Coffee flavor don't seem to go too well together. However, Naked City up in Seattle does a coffee IPA, and I have heard its excellent. In my coffee Stouts/Porters, I usually keep the Hopping to a minimum, opting for an oz or so of a high alpha variety at 60 minutes. I pour a shot of espresso into each bottle to add the coffee flavor, though I am thinking of doing 2-4 cups of cold steeped coffee in my next batch...
Coffee IPA, very interesting...that's either really effin' good or horrible. 
A shot of espresso is each bottle? Damn, that's a lot!
Jesse

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:56:28 pm »
Coffee IPA, very interesting...that's either really effin' good or horrible. 
A shot of espresso is each bottle? Damn, that's a lot!

Naked City is known for doing some really crazy things. The next time I go, the coffee IPA is on the list to try. They were out when I was there last. I did have a Cascadian Red that was fermented with a Belgian yeast, and it tasted like I was sucking on a bubblegum jolly rancher. I was less than a huge fan of that beer.

I have found that 1 shot of espresso + 21 oz of beer gives me just enough coffee flavor and bitterness that I know I am drinking a coffee porter, but not enough that the coffee is bashing me over the head. As I said, I might try a couple cups of cold brewed coffee in my next coffee porter or stout.