Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: More floral hops, less grapefruit  (Read 10014 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: More floral hops, less grapefruit
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 07:56:39 pm »
Am I correct in noticing that the finish of a beer and change how I taste the hops? So could a more sweet beer impart a more fruity hop taste?

Absolutely. I definitely find that sweeter beers (as well as more acidic beers) really bring out the fruity hops flavors. Ballast Point's Sculpin IPA is a prime example of this. It's a little sweet and pretty juicy and I get all kinds of fruit like OJ, lemonade, peach and berries in the flavor.

On the flip side, I find that dryer beers do bring out a bit more spiciness and floral/herbal notes from the hops, but to my palate I think it's just more because the fruitiness tends to be a bit muted in dryer beers so the other hops notes show up a little better.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 08:10:40 pm »
I find Styrian Goldings gives a great floral aroma with no grapefruit. My favorite hop in fact. I made a really great SMaSH with it, MO, and 1469. Good times.

masswinhester - I've been experimenting with Styrian Goldings and 1469 as well.  Did a Timothy Taylor Landlord, a "masterpiece" according to my British friend.  Yesterday I repitched the slurry into an English Mild using Styrian Goldings.  I love the combination of that hop and yeast.  Have you done much else with 1469?

Indeed I have. It has pretty much been my house yeast for the last two years, so I am very happy that it is a year round strain now!
In fact, I was thinking about this thread, and thought that my Landlord clones tend to have a slight orange/citrus taste to it, so perhaps the styrian goldings do lend some citrus notes. However, with the smash I did not get that at all, and instead got this incredibly floral flavor and aroma.
Other than that, a little of topic, so apologies, I think 1469 makes a great dark mild, bitter (obviously), English pale, a good porter (not great), and a very very good barleywine.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:12:14 pm by maaswinhester »
Kyle M.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:00 am »

Am I correct in noticing that the finish of a beer and change how I taste the hops? So could a more sweet beer impart a more fruity hop taste?

Conversely, some hops (EKGs, Cascades) seem to add a candy-like sweetness to the finish of a beer, IMO.