Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: last 1/5 of keg foams  (Read 5256 times)

Offline shibbs

• 1st Kit
  • San Diego, CA
last 1/5 of keg foams
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:57:48 pm »
Has anyone else encountered this prb?  My last 2 kegs kicked all foam for the last 1/5 or so.  Neither were dry hopped (ESB, Porter), so no obstruction in line/diptubes.  Both were pouring perfectly for the first portion of keg.  I use 6 ft of 3/16 beer line at 8psi and other kegs with same setup pressure in kegerator pouring fine while kegs near empty all I get is foam.  Any suggestions/thoughts?

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: last 1/5 of keg foams
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:19:41 am »
try turning the serving pressure down from 8 to, say, 2 or 3 psi.

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:56:47 pm »
Not sure this will help, but hear me out.  I had two kegs freeze the last gallon or so, in the serving fridge,  in my kegs a few months ago, really weird.  Alls they did was foam, and I knew they weren't empty based on their weight.  Only other thing would be a clogged poppit, which has happened to me as well, just don't assume that only a dry hopped beer can clog a poppit, with all the debri, any beer can if not racked properly.

I recommend a cold crash and be careful when you rack to a keg.  I haven't had a problem like this in a couple years.  Oh yeah, and as for the frozen kegs, the fridge was freezing the kegs in the rear of the fridge, I re purposed a carboy insulator to divert the cold air directly hitting my kegs in the serving fridge, that's what was causing it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:58:20 pm by liquidbrewing »
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:33:12 pm »
It's pretty common at my house that the last couple of quarts will be very foamy, but I don't know why.  It's not nearly the last gallon though., just the last few pints.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline thetooth

• Assistant Brewer
  • Long Beach, CA
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:52:24 pm »
It's pretty common at my house that the last couple of quarts will be very foamy, but I don't know why.  It's not nearly the last gallon though., just the last few pints.

Same here.  I kinda like it, actually.  It lets me know the keg is about to blow.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 07:01:48 pm »
  I had two kegs freeze the last gallon or so, in the serving fridge,  in my kegs a few months ago, really weird.  Alls they did was foam, and I knew they weren't empty based on their weight. 
My freezer thermostat went nuts for a week once and froze 3 kegs.  I didn't know it but suddenly my porter, Irish red and bitters started kicking my butt.  When the first keg kicked I pulled it out and realized it was still full of ice.  I had made an eisPorter, it must have almost doubled in strength based on the amount of ice in the keg.  But those sure sere smooth beers.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:10:52 am »
When I froze a bitter it came out like a smooth bourbon. ;D

I think you have your serving pressure set too high- probably overall but not an issue until your kegs are nearly empty. Try dialing the system back a couple psi with fresh kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickcue

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 02:33:22 am »
I think to lower section of your cooler is colder than the upper section. As the level of the keg is pulled down, the beer is seeing colder temperatures and the level of dissolved CO2 is increasing.