Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best time to and finnings for Kolsch  (Read 4160 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Best time to and finnings for Kolsch
« on: March 27, 2012, 07:35:36 am »
I have a batch of kolsch fermenting in the primary now and plan to continue for at least 2 weeks.  I will then place into lagering keg for 4 weeks at 34F or so.  When is the best time to add gelatin finnings- into the lagering vessel or wait to add to serving keg?  I'm shooting for excellent clarity with this batch.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
Re: Best time to and finnings for Kolsch
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 07:54:56 am »
With gelatin, the colder the better.   And you want to give it a few days to work.
So I would add it during the last week of lagering.   

It might turn out to not be necessary.   If you can hold it at 34 for a month it will probably drop crystal clear all on its own (assuming good mash pH,  full conversion, no other issues).   

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:39:38 am »
With gelatin, the colder the better.   And you want to give it a few days to work.

It might turn out to not be necessary.   If you can hold it at 34 for a month it will probably drop crystal clear all on its own (assuming good mash pH,  full conversion, no other issues).

This...although your yeast selection may make a difference. I seem to remember hearing that the White Labs Kolsch yeast is a b**** to clear...or maybe it was the Wyeast version...whatever the case Im doing a side by side next week with those yeasts! I will report results.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 09:36:39 am »
If adding during the final week of lagering won't I need to stir/mix it up a bit thus possibly suspending all the crap that dropped during the previous 3 weeks?  I used the white labs kolsch strain.  Is there any downside to mixing in the finnings at the start of lagering?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:15:15 pm »
If adding during the final week of lagering won't I need to stir/mix it up a bit thus possibly suspending all the crap that dropped during the previous 3 weeks?  I used the white labs kolsch strain.  Is there any downside to mixing in the finnings at the start of lagering?

You don't mix in finings.  Rather gently pour the hot mixture onto the cold beer.  As the hot layer reaches equalibrium, it falls to the bottom taking the haze with it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 03:23:47 pm »

This...although your yeast selection may make a difference. I seem to remember hearing that the White Labs Kolsch yeast is a b**** to clear...or maybe it was the Wyeast version...whatever the case Im doing a side by side next week with those yeasts! I will report results.

The Wyeast strain is more difficult to clear than the White Labs. As far as gelatin goes I prefer to do it in a bright tank. A corny keg works well for that purpose.

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:46:03 am »

The Wyeast strain is more difficult to clear than the White Labs. As far as gelatin goes I prefer to do it in a bright tank. A corny keg works well for that purpose.

Thats it! I thought you had mentioned that somewhere along the line but couldn't remember which.
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 10:45:43 am »
I used to do finings in either secondary or serving keg.  However, now, I crash the primary after fermentation and add gelatin then.  I wait 24 hours, and rack to the serving kegs to lager, serve or whatever.  I have not seen much, if any difference in the clarity of the beer from fining in a secondary vessel or waiting more than 24 hours to let the gelatin clear things up. 

YMMV
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!