Freakin' amazing trip. I didn't get sloppy drunk, but considering I tried nearly 50 different beers over two days, it's an impressive feat.
People I got to meet:
- Chris White (White Labs)
- Alec (Uncommon Brewers) - spent a good half hour talking to him about canning processes. He was the first guy to use KeyKeg in the US. His siamese twin is a hell of a beer. http://www.uncommonbrewers.com/twin.php
- Barnaby Struve (Three Floyds) - got to talk with him about ideas for turning the French masses on to beer
- Thomas Schøn (Mikkeller) - Second time to meet him, except this time I was hauling keykegs around for him during the second day (I volunteered so as to get free beer for the day).
- A couple of the brewers from (Cigar City) whose names I didn't get, but we talked some BS and drank a couple beers while on break. They love themselves some cedrella over there.
- Urbain Coutteau (De Struise) - Spent most of my time tasting the beers he had on offer, and mostly BSing and telling jokes (I did a lot of listening)
- Luc Boivin (Dieu Du Ciel) - Talked shop in French, which was fun considering the Quebecois accent.
And as for beers...
Amager Bryghus (DK): Sinner Series Sloth, Sinner Series Gluttony
Baird (JP): Rising Sun Pale Ale, Siruga Bay IIPA
Brodies (UK): Camden Town Brown IPA
De Struise (BE): Single Black, Dirty Horse 1983, Shark Pants, XXX Rye Tripel, Rio Reserva 2008, Black Damnation VI Messy 39% ABV, Keralensis, Tsjeeses Reserva 2009
Dieu de Ciel (CA): Isseki Nicho, Penombre
Westbrook (US): Mexican Coffee Cake
Port Brewing/Lost Abbey (US): Shark Attack, Mongo, also at Mikkeller bar: Ernest's Silky Smooth Oatmeal Stout, Old Viscosity
Cigar City (US): Dos Costos Oeste Cedar Wood, Maduro Brown, Jai Alai Humidor series
Farmers Cabinet (US): No Love Lost black farmhouse IPA, Marry Me In Goslar, Heart & Soul
Evil Twin (DK): Yin & Yang Imperial Black & Tan (IIPA mixed with Impy stout), Soft Dookie (@ Mikkeller bar), also something-or-other Lava, which was a super (SUPER) spicy chili stout
Mikkeller (DK): Royal Rye Wine, Islay Barrel Aged Texas Ranger, Gypsy Juice
Nogne O (NO): Aku Aku Lemongrass ale
Three Floyds (US): Arctic Panzer Wolf, Behemoth, Zombie Dust (Mikkeller Bar)
Uncommon (US): Siamese Twin Ale, Golden State Ale, Bacon Brown Ale, Baltic Porter
Xbeeriment (DK): Barack, Drink & Drive (0.05 % ABV)
Also only @ Mikkeller bar: Dark Horse Thirsty Trout, Against The Grain Scotland Charred, Mikkeller American Dream, Mikkeller WesterBrown Ale, The Alchemist Heady Topper (Holy cow!), Brewdog End Of History (I didn't drink any but I did get to hold the bottle).
And lots of hot dogs. Here are some pictures:
Inside Mikkeller... mmmm selection!
De Struise's Beer Cart
An AHA Shout Out from Mikkeller
Chatting with Barnaby
Good beer with friends!
The first beer dinner - slightlyt overcooked pork loin with deeeeelicious mashed taters and some kind of basil chimmichurri.
Starting to reach my limit for the evening at this point
Talking with the Cigar City guys
Mmmmm... Heady Topper. Apparently you guys can't get this in the same state it's brewed in! Cost me a good 20 bucks though.
Brewdog's End Of History. I only got to touch the bottle.
I volunteered on Saturday, so I had to get there at 10 am after going to bed at 4:30 the previous night. Was worth it for the free beer bracelet, however.
Thomas from Mikkeller
Second beer dinner: medium-rare steak with root veggies.