Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Munich Mild  (Read 4159 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
Munich Mild
« on: March 20, 2012, 01:12:29 pm »
So I know this is totally out of style, but I want to do a mild this weekend. I need a new session beer, because my ordinary bitter is almost gone, and my wife wants me to do some sweeter, darker beers. In the last couple beers I made, I used munich malt, and I love the color and maltiness that it gives a beer, with out the sweetness that I get from crystal. So putting this all together, I was thinking about doing a mild with a munich base. This is kind of the basis of where I am starting. I haven't done any preparation yet, so I am up for all sorts of changes.

6lb Light Munich
2lb Pale 2 row
8oz Pale chocolate
4 oz Crystal 80
4 oz wheat

shooting for 1.045 OG

Hops:
.5 oz Magnum (13.1 AA) - 60 mins
1 oz EKG (4.5 AA) - 15 mins

Thinking of using WY1968 or 1469

Again, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Offline dee

• Cellarman
Re: Munich Mild
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 02:00:16 pm »
I've brewed a recipe very similar to that and it turned out great.  I used 60% Munich, 30% M.O., 8% Crystal 45 and 2% Pale Chocolate.  I used WLP002 (same as WY1968).  I think my OG was 1.036 and FG 1.010.  It makes a very well rounded session beer that tastes like you mixed Cain's Bitter(3.2%) and Cain's Dark Mild.  I think Munich is an excellent base malt in session beers.  I'd mash high, @158, so it doesn't end up thin.  I've also made a Scottish 50/- with virtually the same recipe using WY1728 and some honey malt instead of dark crystal.  It turned out well too.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 02:04:34 pm »
very similar to a dark  i made except instead of the crystal i used the breiss blackprinz.  i even had the magnum hops.
Don AHA member

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »
my standard mild/bitter is:

6.5 lb munich
.5 carastan/crystal 40
lots of hops

tasty. And I am sure you could add a little dark malt in there to get the darker mild color.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:19:37 pm »
So I know this is totally out of style, but I want to do a mild this weekend. I need a new session beer, because my ordinary bitter is almost gone, and my wife wants me to do some sweeter, darker beers. In the last couple beers I made, I used munich malt, and I love the color and maltiness that it gives a beer, with out the sweetness that I get from crystal. So putting this all together, I was thinking about doing a mild with a munich base. This is kind of the basis of where I am starting. I haven't done any preparation yet, so I am up for all sorts of changes....

Nothing at all 'out of style' about what you're making;   "style" is, after all,  all about the final result in your glass and how it tastes. 
The Munich will definitely get you there. 
I'd even throw in a little bit of CaraAroma for some extra color and maltiness.
When I've done a beer in a similar vein to what you're contemplating though, I go for somewhat lower bitterness than what your recipe indicates ...but that's just me.

In any case, you're on target...and the 1968 is definitely a great yeast choice for this.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:39:41 am »
This will ferment quickly, so be sure to bring some to the meeting in a few weeks :)
Tom Schmidlin