Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Munich malt question  (Read 8425 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Munich malt question
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 06:10:34 pm »
Well, I was reading on my iPod so forgive me.  ;) But you can still do a good mock lager with WLP001 or WY1007. On a bock or doppelbock a lot of people won;t be able to tell the difference anyway. Regardless, I wouldn't do an IPA and Alt is good but not best choice IMO.

How can such a smart man be so wrong?   ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 06:16:40 pm »
All I'm sayin' is you can fool a lot of people. I fooled a german guy just the other day with WY1007.  ;)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 06:42:10 pm »
Dopplebock or Bock would've been my first choice had he wanted to do a lager that's why I suggested an alt. I do agree with Keith that a mock DBock or Bock would lend a better perception of the aroma and flavor of straight Munich, but I think he can also get a pretty good feel for it in an alt. Plus I think the alt would render an overall better beer per style because of the yeast factor, IMO. So all is fair in brewing and fermentation.   ;)

Either way would give you what you're looking for at the end of the day.
Ron Price

Offline edvinjonsson

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »
Thankyou for the replies. How does this sound? Using odds and ends around the house, 9 lbs Munich, 1/2 pound caramunich, thick mash at around 154. For hops on hand I have mt hood, and chinook. I am thinking chinook? For yeast I have 04 or Nottingham. I am thinking the nottingham will attenuate too much, so S 04?

That sounds good, I'd say forget about styles. If you wanna get a good feel for it just make an all-munich beer and use a clean ale yeast. I'd use mt hood instead of chinook though, chinook has a stronger flavor.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
Munich malt question
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 07:31:56 pm »
Dopplebock or Bock would've been my first choice had he wanted to do a lager that's why I suggested an alt. I do agree with Keith that a mock DBock or Bock would lend a better perception of the aroma and flavor of straight Munich, but I think he can also get a pretty good feel for it in an alt. Plus I think the alt would render an overall better beer per style because of the yeast factor, IMO. So all is fair in brewing and fermentation.   ;)

I basically agree with both you and Keith.  Il just had to give him some crap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 08:29:34 am »
Also people have posted success fermenting the bohemian lager strain at warmer temps. It stays pretty clean from what has been posted.

Something like a Bock or Munich Dunkel with its rich malty character may work well with a warmer lager yeast fermentation. just a thought!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 09:03:54 am »

Which probably means someone got started drinking early. ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 09:29:31 am »

Which probably means someone got started drinking early. ;D

Actually, due to my work schedule, I haven't had a beer in 5 days.  Maybe THAT'S what did it!  Fortunately, I finally have a day off.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:51 pm »
I made a Belgian Ale with 80% Munich and it came out great.
Dan Chisholm

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 06:36:24 am »
My last Amber ale was 62% munich malt.  The rest was 2-Row and C-120 and hopped with all cascade.  Very tasty at bottling time. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:48 pm »
Good post.

An acquaintance of mine picked me up a sack of Gambrinus 30L munich.  I wanted the lighter munich, but he didn't know any better.  What do I do with a munich that is 30L?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 09:58:15 am »
Use it for compost.  I ruined a couple batches using that malt at about 40%.  At the very least, use it sparingly.

www.dennybrew.com