Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watershed IPA...Hodgson's IPA  (Read 4149 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
Watershed IPA...Hodgson's IPA
« on: March 07, 2012, 06:26:45 pm »
I went into Track Town Pizza in Eugene, Oregon the other night.  It was my first time, as I was passing through on my way home to Grants Pass.  My first impression is that this is THE PLACE to be for any and all University of Oregon sporting events.  Pics of the late track legend Steve Prefontaine dot the walls.  I ordered a Watershed IPA that appears to always be on tap.  I lucked out as all brews are $3 a pint on Tuesdays.  Anyway, this is an IPA that is balanced, yet doesn't sacrifice the obligatory bitterness that seems to be the curse of some other commercial IPAs that I've had lately, like Blind Pig.  Denny is right.  This is a fine IPA.  (Maybe someone here knows what hops are used in this IPA??)

While I'm at it, I'll put in a plug for Hodgson's IPA that was served at the Fish Tale Brew Pub in Olympia, Wa.  This is not to be confused with their Organic IPA, which I also had.  The waitress with the European accent recommended it as being "more bitter" than the Organic IPA, so, I ordered a pint.  She knows her stuff!  She also told me the ABV was 6.8%.  This was a well balanced pint, too, with a smooth, lingering bitterness.   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:29:34 pm by roguejim »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Watershed IPA...Hodgson's IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:08 am »
Around here, Watershed has overtaken Ninkasi's Total Domination as the IPA of choice among beer geeks.  To me it seems better crafted and more consistent.  That's not a slam against Ninkasi!  Matt Van Wyk, the head brewer at Oakshire, is very forthcoming about his recipes if you email him.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 03:25:13 am »
Just got an email from Matt.  The hops used are:  Nugget, Amarillo, Centennial, Crystal, Zythos, and Simcoe.

Never heard of Zythos.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 08:28:43 am »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:18 am »
Zythos is a tasty Hop (blend).
I had it in a SMaSH from Boundary Bay over Christmas break. It has a nice piney, floral aroma.

Fish Tale is awesome. My favorite place in Olympia.

Go Huskies!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:32:38 am »
I had it in a SMaSH from Boundary Bay over Christmas break. It has a nice piney, floral aroma.
Did they call it a smash?  I don't think it's reasonable when they are using a blend.  Why not blend some malt and then make a smash with that and some Falconer's Flight? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 11:48:26 am »
Did they call it a smash?  I don't think it's reasonable when they are using a blend.  Why not blend some malt and then make a smash with that and some Falconer's Flight? :)

I can't remember if they actually called it a smash, but I do know that they called it a Single Hop, and I remember them saying it was all 2-row. At the time, I hadn't heard of it, and didn't know it was a blend until I saw it at the LHBS.

With the blended pellets, it kind of blurs the lines regarding single hops. Given that you can't create that blend on your own, it is kind of similar to using a single hop.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 12:03:39 pm »
With the blended pellets, it kind of blurs the lines regarding single hops. Given that you can't create that blend on your own, it is kind of similar to using a single hop.
Yeah, it blurs the line I guess.  But it's kind of the same as using a kit with the malt mixed together and calling it a smash.  Just because you don't know what's in it and can't recreate it doesn't make it a smash to me. 

You could make smash beers - use one brand of malt extract, no steeping grains, and one kind of hops. ;)  I used to make that kind of beer all of the time when I was starting out ;D

<edit> now with more snark :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:05:52 pm by tschmidlin »
Tom Schmidlin