Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Software?  (Read 7196 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Re: Software?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »
I have BeerSmith for my macbook and it it works great.  So I will hop on the BeerSmith train.
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline timmyr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 05:51:04 pm »
I've used BeerTools, Beer Alchemy and BeerSmith 2.  I've made the switch to BS2 recently despite my love for BeerTools on my Mac.  I am REALLY happy with BeerSmith now that Brad has worked some of the small functional bugs out of the software.  BeerTools was excellent on my Mac.  BeerAlchemy was almost perfect but I did not like how it locked down a recipe once you checked it brewed.  I did LOVE that it sync'd with my iPhone.  BeerSmith is REALLY nice with all the options...you can dig in as deep as you want and it does a nice job differentiating mash efficiency and overall efficiency.

Good luck...I think all three are good products.
Cheers,

Timmy

On
APA
American Brown
Harvest Rye
New England Cider
Soon
More Cider

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 09:59:02 am »
Put me down as HATING BeerTools It is clunky and poorly designed. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 10:28:42 am »
Jeff Donovan is working on a new update:  http://promash.com/proboard/index.html
Brew on

Offline pikelakehomebrew

• Cellarman
  • brewing in the north metro
    • Pike Lake Home Brew
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 03:03:41 pm »
Personally, I've been VERY frustrated with basically all of the apps available and find myself using multiple apps for different things.

I love having my iPhone with me on brew day and it's much less clunky than lugging around a laptop, particularly if there's any risk of it getting splashed on — MacBook Pro's don't care much for splashing wort.  So on the iPhone I've really enjoyed BrewPal for recipe creation — it is a nice interface, helps me get in the ballpark of various beer styles, and can export the recipes via e-mail.  BUT it doesn't manage inventory and the brew timers are highly flawed.  If you press the top button on the iPhone to put the display to sleep, the timer essentially stops. 

I've also been using iBrewMaster, mostly to manage actual brew sessions and toyed around a bit with trying its new inventory management feature.  I liked it for brew sessions and its reliable timers, but the app is really buggy and the inventory manager doesn't work reliably enough.  BUT it's off to a good start.  I can look at my recipes and at a glance see if I've got what I need to brew that batch (green = enough of that item in stock, orange = some of it in stock but have to order, red = not in stock).  If they could just work out all the bugs, I may go back to using it.

In my quest for the perfect brewing app, I also tried Beer Alchemy's iPhone app and basically had to write off the $4.99 I spent for it.  It's way too "click" heavy to do things.  Though it does manage inventory nicely, you have to click through like two or three times from a recipe just to see if you've got enough in your inventory to brew that beer.  Not cool.  I want to see IN my recipe view whether or not I have what I need to make a batch of that recipe.  It's Mac desktop counterpart isn't too bad and it is nice how the two apps sync together, but it honestly reminds me too much of working in a spreadsheet that's been converted into an app.  It doesn't have a slick layout or interface, and there are facets of using it that make pen and paper more appealing.  (Is that even possible when I'm a web developer/Mac geek?)

I tried BrewTarget, an open source app for the desktop ...and closed it after looking it over.  Yeah, it looks, feels and operates like open source.  Onto the next app.

I briefly tried BeerSmith2 and it reminded me too much of Microsoft Office.  I hate Microsoft...and hate their Office products.  So yeah, onto the next app.  Oh wait, that's it?

I've been seriously contemplating writing my own web application to specifically handle inventory (well) and work closely with recipes and batches from those recipes, making it easy to see at a glance whether or not you have the stuff to brew a batch up, along with a few of the calculators to help measure out your assets that you need for brewing.  But it's a lot of work and I'd need some help to ensure all the calculations work right and whatnot.    I've got the UI design and development experience and think I could come up with something nice and sexy — but I'm a lazy home brewer and would rather just sit at home and drink my home brew, hoping someone else would just make their app work right AND look awesome.
pikelakehomebrew.com
On tap: Oktoberfest, Belgian Dubbel, Peach Blonde Ale, Surly Furious clone

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:26 pm »
i tinkered with beer target, beersmith, brewtools, pro mash, brew smarts, hopville.....
i got the ibrewmaster app for my phone and it does everything i want.  little small to look at and i can't save the files to a different app but i can play with it when i am supposed to be in a meeting paying attention to something that supports my income 8)
Don AHA member

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 08:19:33 am »
+1 Beersmith2  It has a lot of great features and is quite easy to use.

I also like Beersmith 2. It seems to have improved tools for calculating pitch rates, but I haven't tried those. I just know it is more than Beersmith 1 offered.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline DrewG

• Brewer
  • Thread Killer
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 12:53:38 pm »
I ended up getting Beersmith 2. Happy with it so far aside from the interface seeming a bit "cluttered" for my tastes.
"Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured."

-Barbarosa

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 03:28:16 pm »
Since I got my tablet, my laptop is all but dead to me. There are some really great free brewing apps in the Droid market. One of my favorites is BrewR. One cool thing it does, it sets up a brew timer off each individual recipe, so you get preset alarms for each hop addition. Brewzor Beta is also really cool for all the calculations needed. Strike water temps / volumes. Does a lot of conversions also brix /  Plato etc.... I seem to have less and less use for my laptop every day.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
I just ordered a refurbished Kindle Fire ($139 today on amazon) and I'll be using Splashtop Remote Desktop to be able to run Beersmith on it from my laptop.
Intra cervisiam est deus.