Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Post your chili recipes  (Read 15666 times)

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
Re: Post your chili recipes
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 07:16:49 am »
Well, there's what I'll call "chili" powder, and then there's "chile" powder.  The former is usually a blend of a few different types of dried chiles along with some other salts/spices.  It's used to add a general chili-like flavor to your food.  The latter is a powder comprised of pure chiles, usually a single variety (e.g., ancho or chipotle chile powders).  This kind of chile powder is used to add the flavor of a specific chile to your food.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2009, 01:32:18 pm »
I made a batch of my Mayan Red Fire Chili today.  Instead of using ground turkey, I added some leftover pulled, smoked turkey breast.  It has an awesome smoky spice.  Steam beer is a perfect campadre.

AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tesla_hv

• Cellarman
  • Captain Conundrum
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2009, 02:22:38 pm »
I made a batch of my Mayan Red Fire Chili today.  Instead of using ground turkey, I added some leftover pulled, smoked turkey breast.  It has an awesome smoky spice.  Steam beer is a perfect campadre.

Man that looks awesome and also the brew...
Yeast Starters: none
Primary: Piney the Conifer
Secondary: Pliny the Elder, Scottish Wee Heavy
Bottled: Undead-Guy Ale, Habanero IPA, Belgian Tripel IPA, Blind Pig, "Island Zombie" Ale, Apple/Rasp Hard Cider

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2009, 02:55:18 pm »
Well, there's what I'll call "chili" powder, and then there's "chile" powder.  The former is usually a blend of a few different types of dried chiles along with some other salts/spices.  It's used to add a general chili-like flavor to your food.  The latter is a powder comprised of pure chiles, usually a single variety (e.g., ancho or chipotle chile powders).  This kind of chile powder is used to add the flavor of a specific chile to your food.

Are these available at most supermarkets, or only specialty groceries?
618 Country - Southern Illinois

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2009, 03:29:04 pm »
tom,

It probably depends on your grocery store.  Here in the Twin Cities, there are plenty of chain grocery stores that have basic ancho and chipotle chile powders (the pure stuff).  My local Penzay's Spices offers a lot more.  But when I want to make a specialty chile powder, I usually just try to buy whole dried chiles (whichever one I want to make into a powder), toast them, and then grind them in my spice grinder.
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

• Senior Brewmaster
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2009, 03:30:40 pm »
Man that looks awesome and also the brew...

If only I had one of your brisket sandwiches on the side.   ;)
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 03:48:13 pm »
Here's what I went with, and man is it good!

~2 pounds rump roast cut into chunks
1 medium can of chili beans
2 smalls cans of black beans
1 large onion
5 cloves of garlic
1 T cumin
1 T each of Texas and Mexican chili powder
2 T chipotle chili powder
1 small can of diced green chilies
1 beef bullion cube in 4 cups of water

Upon tasting each type of chili powder, I was UNimpressed with the Texas and Mexican powders. However, the chipotle was very flavorful and had a little heat. I think next time, I'll stick with the chipotle and forget about the others.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:33:48 pm by tomthebrewer »

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2009, 10:03:01 am »
Here's my recipe.
I go to the local Mexican grocery store and buy as many varieties of dried chiles as they have on hand.  Using mostly dried hot or extra hot New Mexico chiles, I soak a bunch of them in hot water before I go to work in the morning.  At lunch I take each one and scrape the pulp out and discard the skin.  I chopped pork sirloin into 1" cubes, sautee with chopped onions and lots of garlic.  In a cast iron dutch oven, I add the chile pulp, meat, salt, pepper and ground cumin to taste, liquid to cover it all(I use a bottle of Guiness stout or other low hopped dark beer instead of  or in addition to water)and chopped tomatoes and bake at 325F until after work.  .Add a couple of cans of dark red kidney beans, put back in the oven for an hour and serve with tortillas and cheddar cheese chunks.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tomthebrewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2009, 04:26:47 pm »
Mmmmm, sounds great! I wish I had a Mexican grocery store around.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 05:44:00 am »
I think adding a variety of dried then reconstituted peppers is key to making great chili. It's the complex flavors that the peppers impart on the chili that make it so good. Of coarse the meat has to accompany the peppers too, but the pepper blend takes precedence. JM2CW.  8)
Ron Price

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 12:07:59 pm »
Here's my recipe , I have won first place with 2 years in a row in with ( best cook in the nook , PA ) .

48 Hours of Chili Madness
                    by
           Chris Bowen

Our homebrew club has an annual Chili Cookoff competition held in November.  My wife and I came in second place 2005-2008 using a recipe that is quite simular to yours.  (Dog's Breath Chili)  This year we followed a few of the tweeks that are different between yours and the Dog Breath and after a string of second place finishes, we finally broke through and won first place  ;D

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 12:10:55 pm by tfries »
Cascade Brewers Society

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2010, 11:32:16 pm »
I have been playing with this recipe all fall, and have made it 5 times in the last few months.  I even took some deer meat to Colorado to make it for my inlaws; made it again for new years day at my aunts house.  It's gotten great feedback and reviews.  I think it's worthy of being called a damn good chili recipe.

big batch - but it can be halved easily enough.

4 lbs ground deer meat - this was ground 80% verison, 20% pork.  the deer was from thanksgiving weekend. 
3 tomatoes
2 green bell peppers
2 green poblano peppers
2 serranos
3 jalapenoes
2 bunches of spring onions/scallion onions
2 big yellow onions
2 big red bell peppers
1 15 ounce can goya black beans
1 14 oz can del monte diced tomatoes
3 8ounce cans hunts tomatoe sauce
paprika
garlic powder
ground cumin
cayenne pepper
dried chopped onion
chili powder
mustard seeds
kosher salt

veggies all washed and prepped.  these are going on the grill. 

grilled the peppers and tomatoes and spring onions until blackened.  turn every now and then, cook them over fire until they are slightly blistered and blackened.

at the same time inside, heat up a big pan and toss in some olive oil. 
cut the yellow onions up and begin cooking them in the pan, once they start to soften up a bit and are getting carmlelized add the meat.  brown the meat and the onions together. 

back at the grill, once the peppers are done and nicely blistered and black, submerge them in ice water, blanching them to stop the cooking.  under the sink run cold water and was them off.  the black part can easily be peeled right off the peppers and disacrded.  Whats left is is a very sweet and roasted flavored pepper.  the black part is bitter - thats why you remove it.  Once you peel off the blackened bits, sliced and chop them into chunks about nickle size.   Once the meat is all browned, add the shopped peppers in. 

after about 5 minutes, it should look like this:

---
once the liquid from the peppers has filled the pot up a bit -like above picture -
add:
1 can diced tomatoes
3 cans tomatoe sauce
3/4's a bottle of beer.  lucky you gets the rest. 
mix it up well and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

now add:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tablespoon choppoed onion flakes
1 teaspoon cayenne
3 tablespoon ground cumin
1.5 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
simmer 1 hour.

add can of black beans (optional). 
simmer 1 more hour. 

--
serve with chopped onions, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, frito scoops, cold beer. 
(the chili is not that spicy, as we have small kids we "spice up" our bowls, this is done with some extra spicy hot sauce added just into the final bowl and mixed in.)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2010, 08:49:23 am »
Man, you guys know your chili.

I put masa harina in mine, as a thickening agent but also to add that Mexican corn flour flavor.

Loopy, do you guys have that masa harina dough in the bag at the grocery stores down there? I love that stuff, cant get it up here.
Man, put some of the yellow pre-made masa harina dough mixed into your chili. Adds a great flavor. Then with the dough make little tamale type dumplings to put on top of the chili.

Hey, BTW where has the bog man been? You seen him? Havent sen him around has he come over to the AHA yet? He sent me that Foxfire book, wow that book is awesome, I have to find the rest.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2010, 11:05:50 am »
I know what you mean on the thickening agent, alot of peopel do it here.  We use masa or maseca as it is most commonly sold.  My wife uses it in alot of dishes so we always have it around.  It's kinda a dry flour mix with ground corn meal and flour.  it is kneaded to make dough, but adding just the powder to chili works too.   I usually dont do it but know others that do.  They had maseca in pueblo, co when I was there a week ago - you might try looking for that and making your own dough from it. 

for bografan, yeah he's around.  he got a bad aftertaste with NB and the forum over there after he was banned for the most rediculous reason.  When he complained in a PM he got banned again.  so he basically has moved on with other interests.  I dont know if he made it to aha or not, he does know about it though. 

Offline bografan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 06:51:01 pm »
I have to give a big thumbs up to Loopy's chili recipe. It rocks the cazbah. :) It rates 3 1/2 stars but would get the full 4 if a hot chick served it to me then peeled my grapes afterwards.

Cap- I'm like you and usually thicken with Maseca <sp?> but I enjoy Loopy's `loose' chili just the same.

Fnord!
Bog