Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1469...Sulphur??  (Read 7212 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wyeast 1469...Sulphur??
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:34 pm »
Personally, I doubt it.  You did exactly what I do and it doesn't cause me any problems.  Second, there's evidence that as long as the starter is cooler than the wort, it may even be beneficial.  Obviously I can't say for certain, but I really doubt that was the problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2012, 02:34:35 pm »
I'm not really believing it either as this is the way I've always done it. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2012, 03:45:48 pm »
I'm not really believing it either as this is the way I've always done it.

;D ;D ;D ;)

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 06:17:24 am »
Resurrecting this old thread to confirm that 1469 can throw off modest sulfur.

1469 has been my "go-to" English ale yeast for the past few years and has preformed like a champ.  However, I think I rushed this last batch of bitter (OG=1.042) into the keg (barely 7 full days post pitch) and I was also using harvested yeast (so potentially stressed).  The sulfur level is minimal and is no where close to many lager strains; it's drinkable as is but I can get rid of it completely by dipping a piece of copper pipe into my pint glass for a few seconds. 

Anyway, glad to have found this thread and for the confirmation from Wyeast that this is a known possibility with this strain.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 08:06:20 am »
I can get rid of it completely by dipping a piece of copper pipe into my pint glass for a few seconds. 

Interesting... what does this do?

Offline ExMachina

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 08:22:07 am »
I can get rid of it completely by dipping a piece of copper pipe into my pint glass for a few seconds. 

It's a trick that has been passed around various forums (for example here: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49255) where the copper will react to produce (insoluble) copper sulfide.  However, there are some health concerns about residual copper ions in the beer and I would not dismiss those entirely.  For me this is just a quick fix so that can at least confirm that the underlying beer is otherwise okay.  I'm going to try scrubbing the rest of the beer with CO2.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 05:54:48 am »

It's a trick that has been passed around various forums (for example here: http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49255) where the copper will react to produce (insoluble) copper sulfide.  However, there are some health concerns about residual copper ions in the beer and I would not dismiss those entirely.  For me this is just a quick fix so that can at least confirm that the underlying beer is otherwise okay.  I'm going to try scrubbing the rest of the beer with CO2.

Cool, thanks Ex.  Wondering if this same concern applies to unfermented wort that comes in contact with copper immersion chillers... I'm guessing not as this is common practice.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 07:24:17 am »

Cool, thanks Ex.  Wondering if this same concern applies to unfermented wort that comes in contact with copper immersion chillers... I'm guessing not as this is common practice.

Preferment copper is good. If I were rich I'd have copper kettles.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 09:36:08 am »
I f a lager fermentation smells sulfury, I'm not concerned as the sulfur has left the beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 10:05:11 am »
I f a lager fermentation smells sulfury, I'm not concerned as the sulfur has left the beer.

THIS^^^.  As Shrek said, "Better out than in!".

www.dennybrew.com