Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OK I really screwed up...  (Read 13066 times)

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
OK I really screwed up...
« on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:02 pm »
So in a colossal bout stupidity I left spent grain in my mash tun (coleman cooler) over the winter when i thought i cleaned it out. Opening it for the first time was the most disgusting thing I have ever witnessed in my entire 42 years on this planet. The smell of death and decay and the sight of bugs and maggots was overwhelming to every one of my senses. I just can't describe it in words.

I cleaned it out and scrubbed it over and over and over again inbetween puking, then i scrubbed it some more with oxyclean, then soap, then again with oxyclean, then sanitized it with star-san and did the whole thing over again atleast 5 times over the course of a few days but the smell of death remains.

Is this a hopeless cause? Will anything get rid of that smell? I don't want any grain or wort to come close to touching this thing if I can't even get rid of the smell. I know i can boil the stainless steel parts (weldless valve, bulkhead and bazooka screen) but i can't seem to get rid of that smell in the cooler. It goes away after cleaning it then returns overnight.

Think i should just cut my losses, toss it and spend the $40 on a new cooler or do you think its salvagable somehow?

I feel like such a friggin idiot!@!#$

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: OK I really screwed up...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 08:26:44 pm »
I think that bacteria has worked it's way into the pores of the plastic wall of the cooler. It is still okay to use because you will boil the mash liquor after the mash. If you can afford a new cooler, I would just buy a new one only to avoid smelling the nasty bugs in the walls of the cooler. However, it will be okay to use.
Ron Price

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:29:33 pm »
If you cleaned it that many times and it still smells, I say get a new one.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:41:02 pm »
Oh man, I can only imagine how bad that must have been. Last summer I left some grain in the tun for maybe two days and was gagging while I cleaned it out. That spent grain goes really bad in a big hurry.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 10:42:08 pm »
Oof.  Regardless of how safe it is, do you really want to smell that every time you brew?  i would be getting a new one.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:52 pm »
REPLACE IT!  I have a 5 gallon one I made hand grenade mix in, it is a high in alcohol drink you can get in New Orleans.  I did this about 5 years ago and left what wasn't drank in there for about 3 days and it still smells like the mix.  So I say cut your losses and double check next time. Happy Brewing!   
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:50:09 pm »
Try using a solution of baking soda...lots of it, and leave it sit for a couple days.  Then dump and leave
open in the air. You can rinse later.  Baking soda is a remarkable odor eliminator.

It's cheap, and you've nothing to lose but a little time. Good luck.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 12:02:15 am »
It's only $40. Get a new one your time and senses are worth more than that.

Spent grain can be one of the worst things imaginable if you don;t take care of it quick!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 03:07:41 am »
Try putting a half gallon of bleach in a full cooler of water and let it sit for a day.  If that doesn't get rid of the funkiness nothing will.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 03:34:49 am »
One other option is to leave it open in full sun for a few days. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" but it also got the stank out of this one temperpedic pillow that hadn't been, er, washed in a while.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 07:23:44 am »
One other option is to leave it open in full sun for a few days. "Sunlight is the best disinfectant" but it also got the stank out of this one temperpedic pillow that hadn't been, er, washed in a while.

Yes, a good old dose of UV will generally take care of it.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 07:51:17 am »
Try using a solution of baking soda...lots of it, and leave it sit for a couple days.  Then dump and leave
open in the air. You can rinse later.  Baking soda is a remarkable odor eliminator.

It's cheap, and you've nothing to lose but a little time. Good luck.

+1. I put baking soda in my work boots once and found salvation.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 08:20:55 am »

this is my SOP, I shovel out the tun, rinse with chiller water and leave it propped open on the lawn until... well generally until I brew again lately. But I started doing this when I left grain in there for a couple days. I also discovered that, even if you rinse everything out really well it's easy to miss a few grains in the braid or what have you and if you close it up with those few damp grains in there is can still get stinky.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 09:25:00 am »
thanks for all of the suggestions, i put it out in the sun, we'll see what happens...
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 12:59:14 pm »
Try putting a half gallon of bleach in a full cooler of water and let it sit for a day.  If that doesn't get rid of the funkiness nothing will.

+1
The advantage over sunlight is that you do not have to constantly rotate it.  (obviously, you want the regular-unscented, or better yet the commercial stuff from Lowes or HD)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 01:01:01 pm by BrewArk »
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­