Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Buying Beer  (Read 5409 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Buying Beer
« on: March 23, 2012, 01:08:12 am »
I haven't bought any beer in a couple weeks but have been working on a selection of what I have brewed up.

Aaah... Freedom from the $8.99 sixpack! How sweet it is... ;D

A great place to be is when you'd rather drink your own and not get bored.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Buying Beer
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 07:20:54 am »
I'm about to be back in my "sweet spot' once  I get my newest beers carbonated and on tap.  I need variety and I'm down to 6 different beers on tap, but I've got a rye pale, porter and my 2 fruit brett beers about to go online so then I'll be a happy man again.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 07:27:43 am »
+1
I did buy some SA Longshot a few days ago but other searching out something specific like that I haven't had need for a trip to a local beer stores in years.  I still manage to spend plenty at out-of-state stores when on trips though.

cheers--
--Michael

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:35:41 am »
I hadn't bought any beer in several months. Last month I bought a 6 of Sam Adams Red Ale, a 6 of Odell's Red ale, and a 6 of Sam Adams Alpine Spring...the tab came to $28. I thought "geeze I could have had 50 beers for less than that". I don't think I will be buying beer other than my 2 pints when I go out anymore.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 08:41:44 am »
I buy beer more than I'd like.  I usually have 2 beers on tap and they're usually staggered because I don't have space to carbonate a keg while those two are on.  I'd like to only drink my beer, but it's habit for me to buy a six pack of something when I'm not feeling what I have on tap.  But I think I'm getting better.
Someday I'll have the capacity for have 4 beers on tap, that would be the sweet spot for me I think.  This is also why I brew 3 gallon batches, so I can have variety as I tend to get tired of a beer about halfway through a 5 gallon batch.
Jesse

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 09:02:16 am »
I still buy the occasional 6-pack if something catches my eye in the beer isle.  But I have five on tap right now so I won't be buying any for awhile.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:08:47 am »
I like to buy Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in 12 ounce cans.  I figure that the factory can make it cheaper than any clone I could come up with.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 09:42:49 am »
I like to buy Pabst Blue Ribbon beer in 12 ounce cans.  I figure that the factory can make it cheaper than any clone I could come up with.
I have some of that, really nice American lager.
I buy beer more than I'd like.  I usually have 2 beers on tap and they're usually staggered because I don't have space to carbonate a keg while those two are on.  I'd like to only drink my beer, but it's habit for me to buy a six pack of something when I'm not feeling what I have on tap.  But I think I'm getting better.
Someday I'll have the capacity for have 4 beers on tap, that would be the sweet spot for me I think.  This is also why I brew 3 gallon batches, so I can have variety as I tend to get tired of a beer about halfway through a 5 gallon batch.
Why can't you charge a cornie at room temp and then put the gas back on the serving kegs?  A few charges at 25-30psi over the course of 3 or 4 days and you're most of the way there.

I still buy some beer just to try new things, but I find that it sits around quite awhile.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:09:26 am »

Why can't you charge a cornie at room temp and then put the gas back on the serving kegs?  A few charges at 25-30psi over the course of 3 or 4 days and you're most of the way there.

I still buy some beer just to try new things, but I find that it sits around quite awhile.
Not sure I could get myself to keep up with that.  I don't know...
I'm realizing that as long as I brew often enough to have 2 kegs on tap and one in a keg (uncarbonated) waiting to go on after a keg blows, I only have to wait a few days for the new one to carbonate.  It's a balance thing, sometimes I have to brew when I don't feel up to it.
Jesse

Offline firedog23

• Brewer
  • Just taking it one brew at a time!
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 10:11:05 am »
I buy beer because there is so much good stuff out there and appreciate what some of them do. That and my time is limited as are the amount of bottles I have on hand.
In the fermenter:

Up coming brews:
First boil in a bag

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 12:18:15 pm »
Haha another good thing is that my recycle bin is much much lighter when I'm not filling it up with commercial empties!

Not to bash commercial beer but I'm beginning to find it boring. PBR excepted of course!

Which reminds me: gotta brew two batches this weekend!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:38 pm »
I still buy beer a lot. Although I don't buy a lot of any one thing.  There's a barrel load of really great inspired brews out there, as well as a bunch of, meh.  I like drinking my beer, other homebrewer's beer, quality pro beer and exploring styles I'm not familiar with or have been averse to in the past.  Stay thirsty my friends.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:36:40 pm »
I buy a decent quantity of beer. Some of it is to replenish my bottle supply, but some of it is good inspiration for beers that I want to brew. I definitely don't buy as much beer as I did before I started homebrewing, but I still buy 1-2 Bombers a week just to see what is out there that I haven't had before. However, I may have to slow down on the amount of beer I buy, and focus on drinking the homebrew I have in the closet. I have almost 20 gallons of beer in my closet right now, and I am almost out of bottles.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:53:59 pm »
I have found myself buying beer for research as I delve into producing better beer. I choose a style and then select a few different commercial beers to sample that characterize it.........it's the best homework I've ever had to do!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 01:05:47 pm »
I buy beer because there is so much good stuff out there and appreciate what some of them do. That and my time is limited as are the amount of bottles I have on hand.

+1. 
Although I'm still only a year into home brewing and just started kegging, I enjoy supporting the local breweries here along the front range of CO in the taproom and liquor store.  Plus, summer and winter seasonals are just too good for me not to buy and enjoy.
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.