Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Circular vs Rectangular Mash Tun  (Read 9381 times)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
Re: Circular vs Rectangular Mash Tun
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 12:23:58 pm »
I do have the option of picking up the 78qt Coleman extreme-question is this:  Is this too large a size if I wanted to so a 5 gallon batch?

All of my 5-gallon batches have had plenty of extra room in my 36-quart Coleman Xtreme.

When or if you start messin around with 25 lbs of grain say for a barleywine or other high gravity bill,
the 36 quart will be a disappointment....IMO

When I start messin around with 25 lbs of grain just shoot me in the head :)  The biggest I've done (and probably the biggest I'll do) was a 1.075 IPA and the 13 lbs of grain for it plus water fit just fine in the 36'er.  Most of what I do is in the .40s and .50s so the 36 quart is actually better for those as there's still some decent grain bed depth that wouldn't be there in one of those mondo size coolers.  I guess it all really depends on what kinds of brew you do.
Joe

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 12:42:25 pm »
Well, I have the rectangular BLUE coleman extreme. I like the divot in the bottom
for the drain. It helps get the last nth of wert out. It allows me to make Either
5 or 10 gallon batches.  AND I could always use it for the high gravity 25# of grain
stuff as well.  It just allows a lot of flexibility for multiple varieties.  I looked at the
circular styles as well, and the 10 gallon cylindrical gott orange was kind of spendy
compared to the blue coleman extreme.  I believe without doing the math,
volumetrics are greater in the blue.  As for the corners and dough in,
I use a large wire whip and have absolutely no problems with dough balls.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 01:20:23 pm »
As for the corners and dough in, I use a large wire whip and have absolutely no problems with dough balls.

I use a large metal spoon and likewise no doughballs.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 02:50:44 pm »
I currently use a rectangular cooler and it's easier to dough-in with my mash paddle as I can break up the dough balls against the flat wall.
Ron Price