Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Home-oaking a commercial keg of Arrogant Bastard  (Read 3667 times)

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
Home-oaking a commercial keg of Arrogant Bastard
« on: January 10, 2013, 10:42:21 pm »
I'm wondering if anybody out there has experience oaking a commercial beer in keg--specifically, adding oak flavor to a keg of Arrogant Bastard to makeā€¦Oaked Arrogant Bastard?

Oaked Arrogant is not available in 5 gallon kegs.  So my plan is to pay for a regular bastard keg, pop the top and pour in the 4 or so ounces of vodka I've kept surrounding 2 dry ounces of first-use, medium-toast American oak.

Anyone used a different technique or have any standout results?
Baby T Aleworks | 100% Organic Abode-Crafted Ales | San Gabriel, CA | On tap...

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Home-oaking a commercial keg of Arrogant Bastard
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:03:44 am »
I've never tried it, but Oaked AB is really oaky. I have a hard time thinking a homemade extract is going to get you to that level. Do you have the capability to transfer it to another carboy or keg and oak it there?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:08:13 am »
I've transferred commercial kegs to cornies before.  You could do that (assuming you have a corny).

I would add the vodka as well as the oak chips and pull the chips when you get the oaki-ness you want.

I add chips the same why I dry-hop in kegs.  Put them in a bag or stainless tea ball and suspend them with floss from the top of the keg.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 12:43:50 pm »
Never though about the possibility of doing a keg transfer.  This will be my first commercial tapping.  I'm probably going to stop by the Stone store today to order one of those 5 gal Bastards.

I'll do a floss suspension then, to get more oak over time--stronger and I hope more complex.  According to Stone's labeling, Oaked Arrogant is made with an American oak "tea".  It is not aged on oak.  I'll see how the two oaked AB's differ over time.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 07:54:19 pm »
Any reason why it wouldn't be more advantageous to just soak some oak chips in vodka or whiskey and make oak additions in your glass from the liquor?
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 08:15:46 pm »
Whyyyyyyy?!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mugwort

• Assistant Brewer
  • Baby T Aleworks
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 02:14:22 pm »
Any reason why it wouldn't be more advantageous to just soak some oak chips in vodka or whiskey and make oak additions in your glass from the liquor?

Yeah, I see the advantages of what you're saying.  That would afford the most flexibility and opportunity to taste-test a range of oakiness.

And if I do settle on a level I really like, I could transfer the last couple gallons to a 3-gallon keg and oak it there, and return the commercial keg.

Thanks!