Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain Mill  (Read 7513 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Re: Grain Mill
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 10:33:50 am »

I use one of those also...the adjustable version.  I've been using it for maybe 12 years, and the friend who co owns it and I have run well over 700 batches of grain through it.  Still works great.

That is about a batch per week...that is a lot of brewing!

Veldy

To be accurate, I should have "we" have run that much through it.  Since we co own it, we both use it for our own brewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: Grain Mill
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 11:56:48 am »
Why didn't the CL mill work out?

Does one need a certain amount of powered drill to run a Barley Crusher?  I have a drill, never used it for my mill, but not sure it's powerful enough. 
This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TXNX0/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00
Jesse

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 12:28:21 pm »

Does one need a certain amount of powered drill to run a Barley Crusher?  I have a drill, never used it for my mill, but not sure it's powerful enough. 
This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002TXNX0/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00

CL mill didn't work out because the seller contacted me just before I was to meet him and said that he had someone offering $145.  Considering he originally agreed to sell it to me for $65, I told him to go ahead and sell it at $145.  Good for him, but more than I wanted to pay for what he had.  It's not an urgent piece of equipment, but something I'll be adding to my set up in the near future. 

The drill question is a good one.  I've got a couple of chord less drills, my Ryobi 18V One+ being the most powerful of the bunch.  I hope one of them will be able to run my mill when I get one.
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »

CL mill didn't work out because the seller contacted me just before I was to meet him and said that he had someone offering $145.  Considering he originally agreed to sell it to me for $65, I told him to go ahead and sell it at $145.  Good for him, but more than I wanted to pay for what he had.  It's not an urgent piece of equipment, but something I'll be adding to my set up in the near future. 

The drill question is a good one.  I've got a couple of chord less drills, my Ryobi 18V One+ being the most powerful of the bunch.  I hope one of them will be able to run my mill when I get one.

I tried to run a mill with a cordless, not a super powerful one but I am pretty sure it was 18V. It worked... for about 5 minutes then the battery was dead. went out a got a 20$ corded drill and that works much better. Just have to feather the trigger to keep it from going to fast or binding up.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 12:47:30 pm »

I tried to run a mill with a cordless, not a super powerful one but I am pretty sure it was 18V. It worked... for about 5 minutes then the battery was dead. went out a got a 20$ corded drill and that works much better. Just have to feather the trigger to keep it from going to fast or binding up.

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 12:52:37 pm »
That was my experience too with the cordless mort. A cheap corded drill will work well.

I have a Barley Crusher with the 7# hopper. It was good value for the money 5 years ago and I think it is still good value. Not sure about the other mills but the BC needs maintenance regularly to keep it in smooth running operation. I think the knurls have worn a bit so use the o-ring trick to keep the rollers from spinning.

I certainly like the look of the tri-roller mills out there. If money is no object you can really put a nice one together.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 01:08:45 pm »
I certainly like the look of the tri-roller mills out there. If money is no object you can really put a nice one together.

I've seen a couple MM-3's with the 2" rollers at some small breweries. Definitely overkill for a homebrewer, but would be pretty sweet.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline zorch

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »

I use this drill with my Barley Crusher, and I dare say it's _perfect_.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/electric-drills/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

The low speed/high torque works great.    The trigger will lock on, so you don't have to keep squeezing it.   

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 01:20:08 pm »

That's just bad form.  He already had a deal and he should have held to it.  Sorry to hear you lost the deal.

As for cordless drills, I have used my 1/2" 18v Dewalt to run my grain mill.  With a fully charged battery it would make through 11-13 lbs but would struggle towards the end.  My 1/2" corded drill never had any issues.  I built a mill table and motorize it a couple years ago to avoid the drill completely.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:09 pm »

Typical for some folks. If you make a deal with someone, even verbal over the phone, you should stick to it, no matter what someone else offers you. Now, if you're taking bids for it, that's another thing.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:11:29 pm by bo »

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 02:44:42 pm »
It's Craigslist, so it doesn't surprise me.

It's a one-off deal with someone you'll never speak to again.

I've been lucky with it, though.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 03:17:48 pm »
If I'm selling something on CL and we agree to a price, I'll always put a time limit on it, especially with no money down. If they don't meet the time, then it's up for grabs to the next buyer. However, if someone offers me more before that time expires, I'll get a name/number just in case the other deal falls through.

Seems fair and no one has ever complained.