Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: High temp with 1968 / 002?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline tony perkins

• Cellarman
  • Olympia, WA
High temp with 1968 / 002?
« on: March 26, 2012, 03:59:46 pm »
I'm using Wyeast 1968 for the first time, in a 1.048 English Summer Ale (Randy Mosher's recipe). I pitched at 66F as planned, and seven hours later, the temp had risen to 68F and the beer was clearly fermenting. After this, I let the temp get away from me, and by the end of day 1 the temp had reached 72F before I cooled it down a bit. (It hovered at 68-70 overnight.)

At 72F, in the first day of primary fermentation, did I produce fruity esters, fusel alcohols, or both? I confess that the metabolic processes of yeast confuse me sometimes--I thought that esters were produced only during the adaptive and growth phase (when my beer was at 66-68), but I realize I could be wrong.

For those with experience with Wyeast 1968/ WLP002: given the fermentation regimen I described above, how crazy do you expect my ale to taste? I'll definitely try again with 1968 and monitor temps more carefully, but what flavors would you expect to result from a 72F ferment?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Drinking:  Pale Sour, Maibock, APA
Primary:  Patersbier
Secondary:  Sour Brown
Conditioning:  Barleywine
Up Next:  BDSA

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: High temp with 1968 / 002?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 05:50:22 am »
You're fine.  That strain can go even higher temp-wise with no ill effects. 

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:12 am »
I agree, it may not be ideal but 72 is not too high and pitching and starting your fermentation off cool will alleviate most problems from high fermentation temps. I wouldn't recommend going much higher though.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »
I agree, it may not be ideal but 72 is not too high and pitching and starting your fermentation off cool will alleviate most problems from high fermentation temps. I wouldn't recommend going much higher though.

+1.  Yeah, don't take it to 75!

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline tony perkins

• Cellarman
  • Olympia, WA
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 03:52:51 pm »

+1.  Yeah, don't take it to 75!

Dave

Thank you, gentlemen.  I took a gravity sample yesterday and it wasn't massively fruity at all.  I didn't note any fusels, either.  I think this beer holds great promise.
Drinking:  Pale Sour, Maibock, APA
Primary:  Patersbier
Secondary:  Sour Brown
Conditioning:  Barleywine
Up Next:  BDSA