Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: IPA or IPL?  (Read 7142 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
IPA or IPL?
« on: June 20, 2010, 05:01:25 am »
I made an English IPA in all respects except the yeast and fermentation.  I had just finished fermenting a Munich Helles using White Labs 838 Southern German Lager yeast. It attenuates lower than some yeasts so I thought I would use it for my English IPA. It worked great and won a blue ribbon in the IPA sub catagory of a competition.  Now I'm wondering if I was wrong to enter a lager in an ale catagory?
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: IPA or IPL?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:22:23 am »
It's only wrong if it doesn't taste like an IPA.  The ingredients don't really matter.  It's all about the finished beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 09:10:13 am »
It's only wrong if it doesn't taste like an IPA.  The ingredients don't really matter.  It's all about the finished beer.

Right on.  I don't think that this can be emphasized enough. 
If it looks like an IPA and tastes like an IPA, there's no reason to call in anything else... and if you're entering it in a comp, that's the right category.  The fact that it took a blue ribbon is proof of concept enough. 

I know folks that have won awards for 'lagers' made with 05/1056/001...in one case, even with a highly respected German trained brewmaster on the judging panel.
So definitely,  while tradition and authenticity is nice, it's ultimately the end result that really matters more than how you get there.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 10:39:43 am »
it's ultimately the end result that really matters more than how you get there.

So long as the rules are the same for everyone I suppose it's ok. But I will say I would expect an ALE to not use Lager yeast; just like I wouldn't expect cat meat in my sweet and sour pork. I don't care how well you prepare it, it's not what the name implies it is.

The moral majority, is neither.

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 11:20:00 am »
I appriciate the input and as I suspected there would be differing opinions, which is great.  I understand that using the wrong/inappropriate ingrediants can cause a beer to be in the wrong style.  I also entered a Munich Helles that was excellent, but used American Hops instead of German hops, still a great beer but as the judge was very clear to point out (22 pts) it was NOT a MUNICH.  I revisited the BJCP styles and there are some catagories clearly named lager or ale, but some are named beer or not at all (porter, stout), so I see the point about a mis-labled product.  I think I should have placed the Helles in catagory 23, but I am still leaning toward the IPA catagory for my IPL.
  Where do we draw the line?  I know, DWHAHB.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 11:49:10 am »
I appriciate the input and as I suspected there would be differing opinions, which is great.  I understand that using the wrong/inappropriate ingrediants can cause a beer to be in the wrong style.  I also entered a Munich Helles that was excellent, but used American Hops instead of German hops, still a great beer but as the judge was very clear to point out (22 pts) it was NOT a MUNICH.  I revisited the BJCP styles and there are some catagories clearly named lager or ale, but some are named beer or not at all (porter, stout), so I see the point about a mis-labled product.  I think I should have placed the Helles in catagory 23, but I am still leaning toward the IPA catagory for my IPL.

I'm not clear on why a line has to be drawn at all. 
If whatever process or ingredients you use achieve a result that reflects a given "style" of beer and has the right flavor and other characteristics of a given "style", then that is the "style" you produced.  The end result is what matters.   
By using ingredients at hand and manipulating them as well as the brewing methods,  you're simply doing what brewers have been doing for centuries:  adapting.

It's really just not that big of a deal. 

AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »

Bingo!  There is as little difference in using an ale or lager yeast as there is in choosing one strain of ale yeast over another.  As long as the results reflect the style, the ingredients are immaterial.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 02:13:02 pm »

I'm not clear on why a line has to be drawn at all. 
If whatever process or ingredients you use achieve a result that reflects a given "style" of beer and has the right flavor and other characteristics of a given "style", then that is the "style" you produced.  The end result is what matters.   
By using ingredients at hand and manipulating them as well as the brewing methods,  you're simply doing what brewers have been doing for centuries:  adapting.

Agreed.

There is also "authenticity" which I think is important to some degree.

The Germans can probably make claim to that.
Ron Price

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 03:28:45 pm »

Bingo!  There is as little difference in using an ale or lager yeast as there is in choosing one strain of ale yeast over another.  As long as the results reflect the style, the ingredients are immaterial.

STYLE is the operative word then. Authenticity is not the objective.
If you go read the BJCP FAQ it's not about ingredients or anything like that, it's just final product.
(I'm not actually talking at Denny - he already knows this)

Maybe someone can start up a historical beer society where only X+Y+Z = "beer#1". Kinda like the civil war reenactment people. Then there can be arguments over whether it's acceptable to use propane and bayou burners since they didn't exist back then.  ::)
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline jakeamo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 01:55:06 am »
I found this by searching "IPL yeast". I too have been making them. I have found 2112 makes great IPLs, though weihenstephen not as good. It kind of clashes like a Belgian with too much hops. Does anyone have any good "Hoppy lager" yeast experiances to share? Thanks

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 07:56:52 am »
I'm not convinced the yeast know if they're supposed to make lagers or ales. S. bayanus and S. cerevisiae had a baby, and we're supposed to act like they're all completely different from each other? If it looks like a duck. . .
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 08:20:47 am »
I bought a few Brew Dog Sunk Punk beers and it tasted like an IPA but was brewed with lager yeast. 
http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/sunk-punk
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 08:58:28 pm »
heh.  I split a batch of Pliny the Elder and fermented half with the Swiss Lager Yeast s-189.
While I wish it was all fermented with Cali ale yeast, it is not all bad.

Different, slightly less hop forward, have yet to keg hop, crystal clear yella bitter clarity.
I like it.  But not something I would repeat FWIW.

8)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 12:31:39 am »
My brew club meets at sudwerks in Davis and we had the brewmaster in to speak a few months ago. One of the interesting things he mentioned is that several of the contract brewers of Guiness actually use lager yeast and a cold fermentation to get the right character for that ale. I have to agree that it really doesn't matter what ingredients you use as long as the final product meets the guidelines in flavour and character.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 06:22:28 am »
I suppose you fermented at 50F?  Did you lager the beer?  I'm guessing the latter wouldn't be necessary or even preferred since you want fresh hop character and a little fruitness is to style.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO