Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: White Table Sugar  (Read 6638 times)

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
White Table Sugar
« on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:30 pm »
So, I searched the forum a little and couldn't come up with much.  Honestly, I have a hard time searching what I want on this forum.  I can never find posts with what I am exactly searching, so sorry if I'm repeating something I missed.

I read recently that using white sugar is absolutely fine and will not produce any off (cidery, etc.) flavors in beer.  I only want to use about a pound in a new IIPA, to lighten the body and help dry it out.  Is this acceptable?  Estimated OG is going to be around 1.083 and 1# of sugar will be 6% of the "grist" for this beer.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: White Table Sugar
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 05:48:23 pm »
One of the hardest things I had to make myself accept was that table sugar and corn sugar are interchangeable, at least in small quantities.  I haven't used corn sugar for anything in probably 15 years, table sugar and demerara are what I use now when I need sugar in a beer.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 07:03:35 pm »
table sugar and corn sugar are interchangeable, at least in small quantities.

I use table sugar all the time, up to about two or maybe 2.5 lbs in a 5 gallon batch, depending on gravity.

Unless you need a dark candi sugar, table sugar is just fine.  I've used demerara, sucanat, etc. and haven't noticed any significant difference between them all.

As long as it's not too great a % of your fermentables, no worries.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 07:11:05 pm »
First off, I think we are a friendly group and we will be happy to answer any question regarding brewing as many times as necessary. So feel free to ask away. I never understood the forums that demanded you "search" first. A live an active forum thrives on people asking questions - even the same questions - and more importantly: answers change over time.

The cheapest sugar you can find, up to 15-20%, is absolutely fine. Belgian brewers use beet sugar up to those amounts and I don't hear too many complaints about their beers.

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:44:12 pm »
I never understood the forums that demanded you "search" first.

They probably don't drink enough beer. Oh, and table sugar is fine. I imagine the 'cidery' reputation comes from recipes for thin beer being thinned even further, probably coupled with poor yeast health which is compounded by the fact that sugar has no nutrients. Most of that is no longer a worry.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:02:08 pm »
Don't hesitate to ask any questions. We aim to please. You may or may not not like the answers, but you're going to get them. Varying as they may be, but at least you'll have choices.

I use table (cane or beet) sugar to help dry out the beer. It helps reduce the final gravity as it is 100% fermentable. I often use 1-2 lbs in a 5 gallon batch depending on how much attenuation I want to achieve.
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 08:18:07 pm »
When I did my first extract brews 20 years ago I always got cider and I blamed the sugar because that's what I read caused it.  I think that's totally false.  For me, I'm 100% sure my cider flavours came from the fermentation temps and in particular the yeast strains I was getting.  I know I could make the same beer today and not have any cider.

Anyway, I use 1 lb of white sugar in saisons and it's not detectable at all.  Go for it.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:13:34 am »
Just make sure you don't overplay or overdo the sugar. Even one pound can dry your beer out and leave you with a harshly bitter and alcoholic tasting brew. You want to balance the hops, malt and alcohol to create a harmonious combination.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:58:36 am »
I am in general agreement with respect to white sugar or corn sugar...there is little difference.  When you get into the less refined sugars, then you are talking about flavor nuances that can be desirable. 

Another aspect that came up at my club's meeting on Saturday was the issue of "Inverting" the sugar with heat and an acid.  The thought was that you are saving the yeast from having to enzymatically invert the sugar prior to consumption.  It seems easy enough, but is it needed or necessary in brewing and fermenting?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 12:03:44 pm »
I get what I'm looking for without the extra step of inverting the sugar.  So I've never tried.

As for the nuances from less-refined sugar, in my experience the nuances can be so subtle as to be imperceptible.  Thus, I've chosen to save a few dollars lately and have been using plain ol' table sugar.

But I did run through just about all the less-refine sugars at the health food store to arrive at this decision.  Of them, my recollection is that I like the flavor from sucanat the most, but not enough to pay the price of organic sugar.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 12:20:53 pm »
I have found no difference in the end result between using inverted or non inverted sugar.  It seems to be an issue where theory is overwhelming simply tasting the beer and deciding.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 12:27:45 pm »
I get what I'm looking for without the extra step of inverting the sugar.  So I've never tried.

As for the nuances from less-refined sugar, in my experience the nuances can be so subtle as to be imperceptible.  Thus, I've chosen to save a few dollars lately and have been using plain ol' table sugar.

But I did run through just about all the less-refine sugars at the health food store to arrive at this decision.  Of them, my recollection is that I like the flavor from sucanat the most, but not enough to pay the price of organic sugar.

you should give coconut sugar a try if you haven't already. I used a couple lb of that in a giant saison and it is really present in the aroma and the taste, At least in the samples.

**EDIT**
one comment to the OP, and it may be entirely moot, but if you or any of your friends who share your brew are hardcore vegans or vegetarians you may want to look carefully when selecting the white sugar to use (brown sugar to probably, and possible corn sugar I don't know) as much of it utilizes bone char as a final fining step to get that blinding white color. (some of) those that don't are labeled as Vegan
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 12:30:58 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »
Coconut - my wife hates coconut.

When I buy mixed chocolates, I have to be sure there's no coconut.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 01:55:00 pm »
I have found no difference in the end result between using inverted or non inverted sugar.  It seems to be an issue where theory is overwhelming simply tasting the beer and deciding.

The only reason I'll invert my sugar is for ease of handling. I really can't tell a flavor difference between invert and plain. I have noticed a difference between dextrose and sucrose, though. A large amount of dextrose with phenolic yeast (I've only tried it with T-58 so far) gives the beer more clove. This is only apparent in large amounts (like 20% of fermentables). I might be completely wrong and it's just coincidental.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:09:25 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 10:28:07 am »
I am out in wilds of Afghanistan and don't have my notes, but I thought the general concept of "inverting" the sugar alleviates the problem of yeast spitting out a particular phenol when it has to convert the sugar itself - or perhaps when it eats non-inverted sugar?  Any of the chemists out there please chime in.

In Colorado it is easy to get beet sugar at the grocery store - it is sold as regular table sugar. That is what I use in all my recipes that call for sugar. However, I sill use corn sugar for bottling - mainly Belgian-inspired beers. Just habit I guess.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout