Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Supplier...Stir plate...Erlenmeyer flask  (Read 12775 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: Supplier...Stir plate...Erlenmeyer flask
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2012, 04:43:53 am »
I bought my 2000ml flask here:
https://bellsbeer.com/store/categories/Homebrewing-Supplies/Brewing-Equipment-%26-Supplies/Yeast-Starter-Equipment/
It's a nice flask, and about the best price I could find.
They also have stirplates, but I am not sure how the prices compare as I made mine.

Thanks for the link.  But, would a 2 liter flask be large enough for a 2 liter starter, i.e., enough head space?
I have done 1 liter starters in my 1 liter flask, and using foam control drops it worked OK.
Until I tried it with Wyeast 1318, that spewed all over the place. That's when I ordered the 2 liter.

Dan S. from NJ

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2012, 05:48:09 am »
Thanks for the link.  But, would a 2 liter flask be large enough for a 2 liter starter, i.e., enough head space?

As a general rule of thumb I would say "No" is the answer to this question.  You might get away with it here and there if you use foam control but eventually you'll have a mess on your hands.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Re: Supplier...Stir plate...Erlenmeyer flask
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2012, 06:36:15 am »
https://bellsbeer.com/store/categories/Homebrewing-Supplies/Brewing-Equipment-%26-Supplies/Yeast-Starter-Equipment/
They also have stirplates, but I am not sure how the prices compare as I made mine.

You might as well get the 5L flask now. You know you will eventually anyway. ;)
Mark Gres

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2012, 07:28:19 am »

This is sage advice.  I use my 5L flask a lot.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 01:51:34 am »
Don't try to build your own stir starter and expect to save money. If you do it right, they give you the schematic if you need one, you'll spend more money and only create a headache for yourself.

I built 2 but if I were to do it again I think I would just pay the guy the money and have it shipped to me.
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:39 am »
Don't try to build your own stir starter and expect to save money. If you do it right, they give you the schematic if you need one, you'll spend more money and only create a headache for yourself.

I built 2 but if I were to do it again I think I would just pay the guy the money and have it shipped to me.

I don't follow this.  I built two from parts I had at home.  It didn't cost me anything other than time and maybe a buck or two for some screws.

I'm not using a 5 liter flask on them, but the magnets I pulled from some old hard drives are strong enough that I'm sure they would spin them.  Maybe I'd need a stronger fan, but those are pretty cheap, too.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 03:44:10 pm »

This is sage advice.  I use my 5L flask a lot.
+1
I'm picking up a second this week.  The volume and headspace help reduce steps and messes and I've decided I no longer want to try and split my starters for 10 gallon batches that have to ferment in separate carboys.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline veldy

• Cellarman
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2012, 08:22:01 pm »
I'm considering going to a stir plate.  Is there a preferred source for the plate and flask?

Midwest supplies has a great stir plate that I use and love!  Stir-plate 3000.  I stir 5L lager starters in it with no difficulty at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYDCRgClu4s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Veldy
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:43:06 pm by veldy »

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 12:21:47 am »
This is a list of the materials I used. I'm not selling these things, I'm just giving a little helpful advice.

1 Computer fan of the 12 VDC variety 120 mm about $7.00
3 Rare earth magnets 35 lbs per pull, 1 for the keeper and 2 for the fan. Cost $3.35 each
1 Stir bar Cost $5.00
1 Potentiometer, 2,000 ohms Cost $5.00 
1 LM317 voltage regulator Cost $3.50
1 resistor, 330 ohms 4 pack Cost $3.00
1 capacitor, 0.1 mf 2 pack Cost $$3.50
1 Project box. Cost $7.00
1 12 volt transformer Cost $3.50
1 plastic dial for the pot  $3.50
That's a total of over $50.00 You can get one made and sent to you for that price.

Without the right resistor, capacitor, voltage regulator, and potentiometer you won't be able to control the RPMs and you'll throw the stir bar to the side of your flask.

Now I know that some people have some of this stuff laying around so you might as well put it to good use. Also, these are Radio Shack prices so if you hunt you can probably find it cheaper.

The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline dllipe

• Cellarman
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2012, 04:56:08 pm »
This is a list of the materials I used. I'm not selling these things, I'm just giving a little helpful advice.

1 Computer fan of the 12 VDC variety 120 mm about $7.00
3 Rare earth magnets 35 lbs per pull, 1 for the keeper and 2 for the fan. Cost $3.35 each
1 Stir bar Cost $5.00
1 Potentiometer, 2,000 ohms Cost $5.00 
1 LM317 voltage regulator Cost $3.50
1 resistor, 330 ohms 4 pack Cost $3.00
1 capacitor, 0.1 mf 2 pack Cost $$3.50
1 Project box. Cost $7.00
1 12 volt transformer Cost $3.50
1 plastic dial for the pot  $3.50
That's a total of over $50.00 You can get one made and sent to you for that price.

Without the right resistor, capacitor, voltage regulator, and potentiometer you won't be able to control the RPMs and you'll throw the stir bar to the side of your flask.

Now I know that some people have some of this stuff laying around so you might as well put it to good use. Also, these are Radio Shack prices so if you hunt you can probably find it cheaper.

+1
Just received my stirplate from stirstarter.com ($45)  Haven't used it yet for a starter but did play with my 2L flask and it worked well with various amounts of water.  It arrived about 3 days after I ordered it (live in CO) and I read some really good reviews about performance and customer service in the forum.
I don't drink a lot but I do drink frequently.