Author Topic: Problems with Single Decoction mash  (Read 3711 times)

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Single Decoction mash
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 12:29:24 PM »
Hmmmmm. I'm going to try that.

I'd be interested to hear your feedback on that. I have a Helles planned that I'm going to try it on. Probably won't be for a couple/few weeks though.

Depending on our weather, my lager brewing may be over until late fall. But if I can find some friendly cooler space, I'll have a go and keep you posted. I only have one keezer which i use for lagering in the cool months when i can leave the rest of my kegs sitting out in the cold garage.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline malzig

• Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Single Decoction mash
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 03:48:16 AM »
It seems to me that instead of triple decoction, pilsner-type beers would actually be better suited to no-sparge single infusion. Is that crazy? Does anyone brew their light beers like that?
I've been making my Pilsners and Dunkels this way for the last couple years.  I can't say that there was anything wrong with them previously, so it was sort of solving a problem I don't think I really had, but the malt profile has been very rich and smooth by no-sparge. 

I bet it would make a great Helles, which I don't make, but I had a Pilsner that I left lagering for so long (too many beers in the cue) that it was virtually a Helles by the time I got to the second keg, and it was quite nice.