Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tofu mash  (Read 5043 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Tofu mash
« on: March 26, 2012, 09:35:47 am »
This is what 2 lb. of firm tofu looks like in a pale ale mash...

In the mash...

After the runoff...

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
Re: Tofu mash
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:38:41 am »
Denny,
Why the heck are you putting tofu in your mash?  Weird!
Cheers,
   Janis    ;)
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 09:41:51 am »
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Edit: So apparently a bunch of question marks turns into HUH emoticons.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 10:00:26 am »
Denny,
Why the heck are you putting tofu in your mash?  Weird!
Cheers,
   Janis    ;)

Janis, you'll find out at NHC!  I wanted to make beers that represent Eugene for club night, so I made the wee shroomy and tofu pale ale!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 10:32:47 am »
Its all protein, what good is putting it in a mash?  I'd stew the stuff in the boil if I wanted to get something out of it.  And of course I wouldn't want to.

I think I just read about a mushroom beer in Mosher's Brewers Companion book from '93.  Just got the book and have barely started into it, but I'm already wishing I'd owned this from the beginning.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:35:14 am »
Many years ago I worked for a soybean company and we had a contest for University students who came up with "new" uses for soybeans.  One year the winner was "soybean" beer.  I don't think that there was much soybean character in it but it had lots of chill haze. 
Enjoy.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:32 am »
Can't see it contributing much to the beer myself in the form of all those cubes. Grind it up!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 11:00:57 am »
Can't see it contributing much to the beer myself in the form of all those cubes. Grind it up!

"Dear Monster Mill,

For some reason my mill has completely siezed up. Do you think it was the 2 pounds of extra firm tofu I put through it?"
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 11:03:58 am »

"Dear Monster Mill,

For some reason my mill has completely siezed up. Do you think it was the 2 pounds of extra firm tofu I put through it?"

I was thinking "food processor" mort! ;D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 11:06:51 am »

"Dear Monster Mill,

I was thinking "food processor" mort! ;D

;D yeah, Just messing. I ussually just wash my hands and sqeeze when I want mashed tofu. Or I use a box grater if I want texture.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 11:08:36 am »

"Dear Monster Mill,

No kidding, talk about "corn dog" rollers :)
Joe

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:39:27 am »

The ultimate stuck mash!
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 11:41:34 am »
Its all protein, what good is putting it in a mash?  I'd stew the stuff in the boil if I wanted to get something out of it.  And of course I wouldn't want to.

Not sure what, if anything, I'll get from it.  But that's not really the point.
I think I just read about a mushroom beer in Mosher's Brewers Companion book from '93.  Just got the book and have barely started into it, but I'm already wishing I'd owned this from the beginning.

That's where I got the idea.  That was the book that came with my original brewing equipment kit from Liberty Brewing.  I knew absolutely nothing about brewing at that point and that book was a real eye opener.  I highly recommend it to everybody of you can find a copy.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 11:46:46 am »

The ultimate stuck mash!

Yeah, that was my fear, which is why I used the firm tofu and just chunked it up. 

www.dennybrew.com

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 12:00:29 pm »
... I wanted to make beers that represent Eugene for club night....

If you wanted to do that, why didn't you just dry hop an IPA with Willie Nelson?