Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: All citra IPA: specialty grains and hopping schedule  (Read 21226 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Re: All citra IPA: specialty grains and hopping schedule
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2012, 10:42:32 am »
I haven't done an all citra IPA but I feel it might be overwhelming in large doses by itself. I had a commercial all simcoe IPA and it was awful. But I would be interested to hear how some have turned out.

For your speciality grains- 2 row isn't one- I would do more like 1/2 carapils and 1/2 crystal between 10-60 and  or maybe 1/2 carastan or caramunich or caravienne something like that. Just a half hour steep for sugar/color and some flavor/body. If a mini mash I would skip the 2 row and do munich with a little carapils and a little crystal. Something along those lines.

All Simcoe god awful??????

That sir is like saying a red cooler is better than blue.....

Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA for the win!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02:30 am »
I haven't done an all citra IPA but I feel it might be overwhelming in large doses by itself. I had a commercial all simcoe IPA and it was awful. But I would be interested to hear how some have turned out.

For your speciality grains- 2 row isn't one- I would do more like 1/2 carapils and 1/2 crystal between 10-60 and  or maybe 1/2 carastan or caramunich or caravienne something like that. Just a half hour steep for sugar/color and some flavor/body. If a mini mash I would skip the 2 row and do munich with a little carapils and a little crystal. Something along those lines.

LOL ;D ;D Simcoe is one of my top three favorite hops and I love citra also.
But that beer you listed is the one I was referring to. :'(  I'd be willing to chalk it up to a bad 4 pack and would try it again but only at the brewery.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
All citra IPA: specialty grains and hopping schedule
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:15 am »
I LOVE Citra!

An FG of 1.015 sounds really high for an IPA... You may add some sugar/honey to dry it out a bit (I usually dont use more than 10%).

Multiple, short dry hop regimens will give you that in-your-face aroma.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

narvin

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 11:20:14 am »

You know, when I tasted this beer when it first came out 6 years ago or so, I really didn't like it.  The bitterness was like earwax.  Not sure if I've changed or the beer has changed, but I enjoy it now  :)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 12:26:49 pm »

You know, when I tasted this beer when it first came out 6 years ago or so, I really didn't like it.  The bitterness was like earwax.  Not sure if I've changed or the beer has changed, but I enjoy it now  :)

how do you know what earwax tastes like?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 01:13:40 pm »

I dunno about earwax, but when I tried the Double Simcoe a few years back it was bracingly bitter with a lot of resin notes on the palate, but not much else. I got a little citrus on the aroma, but it mostly tasted like someone forgot the late hops. Maybe I had an old bottle, or maybe they've updated the recipe since, but the Double Simcoe really didn't do much for me when I tried it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline alcaponejunior

• Brewer
  • Latest creation: Big Smash Saturday
    • alcaponejunior.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 04:59:19 pm »

When I first started really getting into beer, I didn't like IPAs much.  I thought they were just too bitter, and liked Belgians best.  I was (am) a big trader and over time, got to sample lots of different beers. 

My tastes changed after I had drank about 50 versions of IPA.  I finally realized they weren't too bitter, but rather the first few (common) commercial examples I had tried just weren't that great. 

It does take time to adjust your pallet from regular joe to hop head beer geek though.  8)

I will be trying this citra IPA thingie just as soon as I can get some citra.  No rush though, I still have seven recipes in the queue without having to order more.  My fridge and freezer are pretty full of stuff right now  ::)