Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast for a barleywine?  (Read 12604 times)

Offline FRACKER

• 1st Kit
Yeast for a barleywine?
« on: March 27, 2012, 03:00:15 pm »
Hey all,

I have between 50 and 60 brews under my belt and I'm about to brew my first barleywine. I have a number of yeasts on hand (on agar plates). I tend to ferment at a pretty high temp (controlled around 74 f), I like the esters from a high ferm temp and I think it will add some complexity and spice to a barleywine.

I'm looking at an OG ~ 1.100. With the high temp, fast fermentation, I'm hoping to dry it out and get the ABV up around 12-12.5%

Yeast on hand

SafeAle 05
   Whitelabs Irish ale, Belgian witt
   WYeast 1056, 3711
   A 12yo proprietary strain from a Belgian brewery that I prefer not to mention.

The 3711 is a real freight train but I'm wondering if it will get up to the ABV that I'm looking for. And if it will, what will 3711 do to a barleywine, rather than a Saison.

Any advice or opinion is very much appreciated.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Yeast for a barleywine?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »
Of the ones you list, I'd go with 1056.  I can't imagine 3711 in a BW.  Are you going for a British or Am. style?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 03:56:20 pm »
I would go with 1056 too, but personally I think 74F is a terrible idea.  Your beer though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »
personally I think 74F is a terrible idea.  Your beer though.

Truer words were never spoken....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline FRACKER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 04:14:13 pm »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll go with the 1056 and bring the temp down to 68. I'm going for more of an English BW so I was thinking that some esters would add character. I brew mostly Saisons and Belgians, and I experiment quite a bit with wild yeast (all of which prefer the higher ferm temp with my setup). The Brett in the wild yeast seems to thrive when I burn out the Sacch as quick as possible.

Thanks for the input guys,
Happy brewing

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 04:42:43 pm »
You might even want to try starting it a little lower, like 65, then letting it ramp up.  A BW will likely give off a lot of heat due to the intensity of fermentation.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 06:01:40 pm »
My most recent BW was pitched at 60F with 1056 then it rose on it's own. I fermented in my cellar at 60F. The beer warmed up about 10 degrees before it finally started to cool down to ambient temp. What's the ambient temp of your fermentation area?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:34:26 pm by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 06:24:50 pm »
You might even want to try starting it a little lower, like 65, then letting it ramp up.  A BW will likely give off a lot of heat due to the intensity of fermentation.

Amen.
When I've made BW with 1056, I've even started it at 60°F.   Those yeasties will definitely work up a sweat and bring the temps up. 
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 07:40:23 pm »
I tend to ferment at a pretty high temp (controlled around 74 f), I like the esters from a high ferm temp and I think it will add some complexity and spice to a barleywine.

I'm looking at an OG ~ 1.100. With the high temp, fast fermentation, I'm hoping to dry it out and get the ABV up around 12-12.5%

If you like messing with brett and barely wines check this out: http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2012/03/bourbon-brett-oatmeal-barley-wine.html

Thought I would mention, I think he ferments at 63F. Good idea on fermenting at lower temps. With that high of a gravity wort you probably don't want to risk producing fusel alcohols.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 07:42:16 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2012, 08:17:17 pm »
personally I think 74F is a terrible idea.  Your beer though.

Truer words were never spoken....
For a BW????   Please don't offer me a sample
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline brewmasternpb

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2012, 11:30:37 pm »
How about the San Diego Super yeast?  Seems like the perfect beer for that yeast.
Dave Malone
The Greater Denver Yeast Infection

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:21:01 am »
How about the San Diego Super yeast?  Seems like the perfect beer for that yeast.

I haven't heard many good things about that one.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:31:31 am »

I haven't heard many good things about that one.

I am not a fan of it, personally.  Used it 2 seperate times in 2 very different beers.  Worked up an appropriate sized starter, O2, yeast nutrient, pitched active yeast and ended up with a stuck ferment both times.....grrrr >:(  That being said, I know people that like it.

Offline FRACKER

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »
So it looks like I'll go with the 1056 and bring down the temp. For temp control I use a rubbermaid bin filled with water and a fishtank heater. Works awesome!!

Thanks again for all the input,
Cheers!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 12:35:22 pm »
So it looks like I'll go with the 1056 and bring down the temp. For temp control I use a rubbermaid bin filled with water and a fishtank heater. Works awesome!!

Thanks again for all the input,
Cheers!

Looks like our work here is done.....;)

www.dennybrew.com