Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whirlpooling and concerns  (Read 1921 times)

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
Whirlpooling and concerns
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:14:43 am »
I've started whirlpooling a bit more extensively on some brews(5-30 minutes depending on beer)

My question is concerning DMS and effects with whirlpooling.  In something using a considerable amount of pils malt where its crucial to chill quickly, is DMS a concern with hot whirlpooling? Is there a recommended time for these types of beers. Should the kettle be covered after the boil has completed during whirlpooling? I generally have not covered the kettle until Ive chilled down to atleast 70 or so.

I use a therminator btw to chill and recirc the last 10 minutes or so of the boil to sanitize everything. Generally I will whirlpool hot for a length of time then just kick the water on for the therminator when I'm ready to start cooling. I generally experience about a .5 degree per minute loss whirlpooling without the chiller running(so after a 30 minute whirlpool ive cooled down to 195 or so.

Thanks!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline dcbc

• Brewer
Re: Whirlpooling and concerns
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 10:42:58 am »
I do a lot of light German lagers and employ a very similar procedure using a CFC instead of a plate chiller.  I recirculate and whirlpool through the chiller beginning at flame out (was having problems with the boiling wort and March pump cavitating and decided I would get enough kill power with just under boiling water).  Depending on whether I add flame out hops, I will whirlpool for 10 to 15 minutes before I start running water through the CFC.  Once I have it cooled down as far as I can get it to go on hose water (well below 140), I let it sit for 10 minutes to settle, then knock out.

Never a discernible amount of DMS in the beer.
I've consumed all of my home brew and still can't relax!  Now what!

Offline jmcamerlengo

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:26:04 am »
great. thanks!
Jason
-Head Brewer, Brewtus Brewers in the Shenango Valley. Hopefully opening a brewpub/nano brewery in the next couple years.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:26:06 pm »
My question is concerning DMS and effects with whirlpooling.  In something using a considerable amount of pils malt where its crucial to chill quickly, is DMS a concern with hot whirlpooling?

If you are doing a long enough boil, you shouldn't experience issues with DMS from an extended hot whirlpool.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline zen_brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »
 Agreed. A long solid rolling boil (90-100 minutes if using pilsner)  should have evaporated most of the DMS from the wort.
Beer is like liquid sunshine, and we need all the sunshine we can get in Seattle.

Do not one day come to die, and discover that you have not lived.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »
+2
Brew on