Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: AG jalapeno brew  (Read 3706 times)

Offline heavyeng

• Cellarman
AG jalapeno brew
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:24:38 pm »
Anyone care to share a favorite recipe?

I'm thinking some 2 & 6 base, pale and a little 40.

3.5 oz of cascade and wye northwest
Beer...It isn't just for breakfast anymore.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: AG jalapeno brew
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:32 am »
I judged several of these in the last couple of comps.  One of the more memorable ones was done with roasted jalapenos, you got a little smokiness with the heat.

Don't know why you'd need 6-row, I'd just go with a standard blonde or cream ale recipe and add the jalapenos.  You really don't need/want much hop character, and just a little bitterness to back up the brew.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 09:33:03 am »
I agree with both of Lennie's comments...roast the jalapenos.  No need for 6 row.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline heavyeng

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 10:11:13 am »
Awesome! Thanks guys!!!
Beer...It isn't just for breakfast anymore.

Offline speed

• Brewer
  • Thedford nebraska
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 05:22:51 pm »
here's mine, its won a few awards

8 lb 2 row
11 oz crystal 40
10 oz oats
2 lbs wheat
1/2 oz saaz at 60
mash at 155
ferment at 62
 1056 yeast
5 or 6 jalapeno peppers chopped and soaked in vodka for a week or two, strained, then added at kegging.

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:38:08 pm »
Just take your favorite Blonde ale...brew and ferment as usual. Take your chile, I prefer Anaheims, and roast it on the BBQ until the skin is nice and blistered. Put it into a plastic bag while still hot so it can "steam" then put it into the freezer overnight. Freezing the chile will burst the cell walls and let all the goodness out when it thaws. Place the frozen chile( skins, seeds, stem, everthing)  in a carboy and rack the finished beer on top of it. Let it sit in the secondary until you are happy with the amount of flavor/heat. I find right around 5 days is good for Anaheims but it varies.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »
Just take your favorite Blonde ale...brew and ferment as usual. Take your chile, I prefer Anaheims, and roast it on the BBQ until the skin is nice and blistered. Put it into a plastic bag while still hot so it can "steam" then put it into the freezer overnight. Freezing the chile will burst the cell walls and let all the goodness out when it thaws. Place the frozen chile( skins, seeds, stem, everthing)  in a carboy and rack the finished beer on top of it. Let it sit in the secondary until you are happy with the amount of flavor/heat. I find right around 5 days is good for Anaheims but it varies.
Nice details, thanks.  I love Grilled Anaheims stuffed with cheese and bacon wrapped, or with spicy sausage.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:51:48 pm »
+1 on the roast/freeze method.  But I add mine with about 5 minutes left in the boil.