Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Today's brewing disaster...  (Read 3393 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Today's brewing disaster...
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:04:27 pm »
Perhaps there should be a running thread where people can post what disaster they had on their brewing day?

Today mine was setting the propane hose on fire...  ??? Maybe it was just old? The burner was over 10 years old.  I walked away for just a moment (how many stories start like that?) and I hear this scary swishing sound and look back to see flames shooting up from the side of my burner. I cut the gas off. The hose is partially melted.  Good excuse to get a new burner, huh? Which I promptly did. Maybe the beer gods didn't want me brewing today?
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Today's brewing disaster...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:09:40 pm »
Wow, that's scary.  I think the new burner is a good idea.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline twomississippi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 07:35:38 pm »
Could have been dry rot on your regulator hose, too. Time for a banjo cooker or a Blichmann!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 07:50:49 pm »
Could have been dry rot on your regulator hose, too. Time for a banjo cooker or a Blichmann!

Well I picked up one Home Depot had. It's not bad and a third of the price of a Blichmann...but man those are sweet, eh?  You're probably right about dry rot. It's 12 years old and has been kept mostly in a very hot garage that whole time.

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 06:28:20 am »
I had the hose on my turkey frier burner catch fire at Big Brew last year when somebody moved my tank, pushing the hose up against one of the legs of the burner. The rubber melted and it flamed up.  That was a scary moment.  A buddy turned a hose on the the flaming hose while I closed the valve on the tank. 

I was able to get the hose replaced for less than twenty bucks.  Even after you get your new burner, getting the hose replaced will increase your options.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 07:18:32 am »
I was able to get the hose replaced for less than twenty bucks.  Even after you get your new burner, getting the hose replaced will increase your options.

I thought about just replacing the hose but after my last disaster some of the holes were clogged making the flame uneven...it's too bad Home Depot doesn't sell Blichmanns though!  :D

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 07:28:37 am »
Always have a fire extinguisher nearby before lighting the burner.
A garden hose (turned on) with a nozzle (or a shut off valve on the end of the hose) is always good to have nearby as well.  Spills happen, and if water or wort >140F gets on your body, you will want to get it off quickly and cooled down ASAP.  Some of us brew near our pools. :D

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:34:32 am »
Always have a fire extinguisher nearby before lighting the burner.

This^^^^

Great advice!..I keep a fire extinguisher in my brewery.  Better safe than sorry is my motto.
Ron Price

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 12:48:56 pm »
+1 my fire extinguisher is mounted on the wall in my garage for just this reason.  It was a gift from my daughter when she observed a brew day way back when.  Smart Kid - she starts her PhD work in the fall. 

Be safe, all.  Messages like this one should make everyone check their burner setups closely at least annually and then a quick check before brewing.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 01:10:55 pm »
Smart Kid - she starts her PhD work in the fall. 
So, not that smart then :)
Tom Schmidlin