Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pellet hops and whole hops  (Read 4733 times)

Offline dannyj621

• Cellarman
  • humble beginnings
pellet hops and whole hops
« on: February 01, 2010, 08:56:32 am »
besides the obvious what it the difference when it comes to brewing?
when in rome we shall do as the romans.  When in hell we'll take shots at the bar

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: pellet hops and whole hops
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 09:10:03 am »
In terms of effect on the beer, not much if anything.  In terms of usage, it kinda depends on your system.  For one of my kettles, I need to bag whole hops, but pellets can go in loose.  For the other one, both need to be bagged.  For some people, neither need bagging.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 10:22:19 am »
I also need to bag my whole hops as not to clog up in my system, but pellet hops can be boiled loose. I prefer whole hops over pellet hops. Not too sure if there is any significant difference between the two, but I believe whole hops are less oxidized due to processing of pellets.
Ron Price

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 10:26:53 am »
I prefer whole hops - pellets clog my screen.   However, you can expect a higher alpha acid utilization from pellets because the lupulin glands are ruptured in the pelletizing process.   Also, if you're making a big beer with lots of hops and you're using whole hops, you will lose some liquid as it is absorbed by the flowers.   So plan accordingly (i.e. when making a double IPA, plan for 7 gal vs 5)

Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:54:32 am »
I also need to bag my whole hops as not to clog up in my system, but pellet hops can be boiled loose. I prefer whole hops over pellet hops. Not too sure if there is any significant difference between the two, but I believe whole hops are less oxidized due to processing of pellets.

If you have absolutely guaranteed fresh whole hops, I agree.  But in general I find pellets store better and stay fresher longer.  I always buy continental hops as pellets.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:10:57 am »

If you have absolutely guaranteed fresh whole hops, I agree.  But in general I find pellets store better and stay fresher longer.  I always buy continental hops as pellets.

Unless one knows the hop farmer, it's hard to do that, but I've started growing my own. I don't get quite enough yield to be self-sufficient yet so I buy from hop direct or fresh hops. I recently (last November) ordered some Centennial and Cascade hops from hops direct that were the freshest I have ever purchased. I mean they were a brighter green color and outstanding aroma. I am very pleased with them.

I vacuum seal and freeze my hops.
Ron Price

Offline homebrewgamecock

• Cellarman
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 12:01:20 pm »
I use both whole and pellet.  I agree with Denny for Continental hops - I prefer pellets for freshness.  Not saying you can't get good leaf hops that are Continental.  Recently I have been buying more pellet hops though.  Easier storage and very easy to use on my system.  Leaf hops also work on my system quite well.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 12:38:59 pm »
Unless one knows the hop farmer, it's hard to do that,

Around here, it's not as hard as in other places.  I call Dave Wills at Freshops, find out when he's picking up hops from the farmers, and order then!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:43:55 pm »
Unless one knows the hop farmer, it's hard to do that,

Around here, it's not as hard as in other places.  I call Dave Wills at Freshops, find out when he's picking up hops from the farmers, and order then!

Nice Denny. Could you let us know when that happens this fall.
Ron Price

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:17 pm »
I use mostly pellet hops, mainly because I buy hops in bulk and the storage space needed is much smaller with pellets.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 01:11:56 pm »
Nice Denny. Could you let us know when that happens this fall.

It actually happens several times, depending on variety and source.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 01:13:54 pm »
I prefer pellets becuase they are easier to use and won't clog my WP chiller. But I have a ketttle I use specifically for whole hops.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 05:57:22 pm »
I do like the ease of using pellets. They're easier to store and easier to weigh plus you don't need any bags. Alot of advantages with pellets.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 05:31:15 am by bluesman »
Ron Price

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:29 pm »
I also use pallet hops most of the time.
If I use whole hops I have to use a bag as they would not plug my pump.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 09:52:56 am »
I prefer whole hops.  They provide something solid for all the hot break to get stuck to.

Equally important, I have an older (kinda rube goldberg) counter flow system with a 1/4" outlet.  Whole hops are screened out upstream, but pellets can make a muck that can clog the line if the flow is too slow.

It sounds bad but works pretty well in that I get good oxygenation during the slow run-out. :P
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­