Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A.I.  (Read 3362 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
A.I.
« on: March 18, 2012, 05:51:07 am »
I just saw a commercial about Cisco software and hardware integration products... robots that could repair robots on assembly lines.  "Terminator" comes to mind... just a matter of time.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: A.I.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 06:15:03 am »
Skynet is being built as speak.   8)

More seriously, we are on the verge of another revolution.  College kids are building bots that can teach themselves to walk now.  Our parents generation don't undersand the tech we have today (my folks are/would be in thier mid-80s).  In 30 years I'm not any of us will understand the tech we have then. 

I think I'd be more concerned about becoming Borg though.  Replacable parts and implants are making huge strides forward in what they can do.  Researchers have found a way to connect nerves directly to artificial limbs and give a person close to the same mobility as thier real part did.  Others are very close to being able to replace damaged eyes and organs.  The big limiter right now is the power source, batteries as opposed to something that lasts decades. Once the tech reaches the point that a replacement arm does more than the one you were issued in the factory how many jobs will begin to require a "laser augmented, high torque, right side industrial appendage" to get a job?  I'm sure a couple billion operative units in Indian or China (or where ever the cheapest labor is in 30 years) will happily give thier right arm for the job.

The world she is a changing.  But since when is that new?

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:02 am »
My son is 12 and is in the 7th grade.  He is building submarine ROVs in school. My wife and I got him this for Christmas.  He has already build all of the projects in the kit and is using the breadboard to design his own projects now.  I can only imagine what he will be building when he is in college.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:55 am »
Dude! That thing looks sweet! When he's done playing with ot, can I have it?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline punatic

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:25:49 pm »
Dude! That thing looks sweet! When he's you're done playing with ot, can I have it?

Maybe...   ::)    ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 02:40:29 pm »
So, if you built a machine that had intelligence and was sentient, would it be ethical to turn it off?
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:48:10 pm »
Do you know what you call a blond who dyes her hair brown? Artificial Intelligence.  Zing!
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 11:58:17 pm »
It's only a matter of time before the advances in tech are happening so fast that we as mere humans are unable to keep up. What is supposed to happen is that we all get a lot more free time but I suspect that is not what will happen. The 10 hour work week is not going to be pleasant right at first.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 10:16:44 am »
My son is 12 and is in the 7th grade.  He is building submarine ROVs in school. My wife and I got him this for Christmas.  He has already build all of the projects in the kit and is using the breadboard to design his own projects now.  I can only imagine what he will be building when he is in college.

Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was on PTO for a week and just found this back.

If he enjoys playing with electronics and wants to do some programming, you may want to look into the Arduino.  Cheap, easy to program and only limited by his imagination.  http://www.arduino.cc/

Paul

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 10:38:52 am »
Arduino's are fun!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline punatic

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 12:51:30 pm »
Sorry to revive such an old thread but I was on PTO for a week and just found this back.

If he enjoys playing with electronics and wants to do some programming, you may want to look into the Arduino.  Cheap, easy to program and only limited by his imagination.  http://www.arduino.cc/

Paul

That is great!  Thanks for the link.  My son is working on his electronics and robotics merit badges in Boy Scouts. (He was nominated to the Order of the Arrow at last night's Court of Honor).

I see some uses for Arduino of my own for monitoring boiler vs take-off temps and reflux valve settings... 

Too cool!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Slowbrew

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 01:10:31 pm »

Paul

That is great!  Thanks for the link.  My son is working on his electronics and robotics merit badges in Boy Scouts. (He was nominated to the Order of the Arrow at last night's Court of Honor).

I see some uses for Arduino of my own for monitoring boiler vs take-off temps and reflux valve settings... 

Too cool!

I'm glad you like it.  There is a group called raspberrypi.org with a PC on a single small PCB for something like $35 too.  If you can find one.  They sold out in 2 hours.  http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

Hobby electronics are alive and well, thankfully.

Paul

Offline punatic

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 01:38:42 pm »
Yeah, we watched Raspberry Pi sell out faster than the 2012 NHC.  They are going to have another sale soon.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 03:05:56 pm »
My son is working on his electronics and robotics merit badges in Boy Scouts. (He was nominated to the Order of the Arrow at last night's Court of Honor).

Congrats to Puna the younger!  Hopefully, you'll post about his Eagle COH someday.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline punatic

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 06:44:02 pm »
He's waiting to make Eagle until someone else will be signing his certificate...   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907