Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: regional Sayings  (Read 20399 times)

narvin

Re: regional Sayings
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 09:07:53 am »

Course, now I live in northern california and WE think that stuff is hella whack.

And I used to live in boston where we thought all that stuff was wicked retahhded

Is it wiggity wack?  Is Northern California like an ironic version of 20 year old kriss kross songs?

northern cali has been flogging 'hella' for at least 20 years. At the brew club meeting a couple weeks ago a guy had a shirt with the stop sign shape on the front reading 'Stop Hella'. I'm pretty sure northern californians have been trying to get people to STOP saying hella for at least 20 years as well.

I guess it could be worse  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=489pO9q8guA

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 09:26:12 am »
Where I grew up we had a few sayings that wouldn't make much sense to an outsider.
 Eddie would go
 Keep the country, country

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 10:45:07 am »
Another one that I like is....."I may be some dumb but I ain't plumb dumb".
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 11:25:28 am »
Where I grew up we had a few sayings that wouldn't make much sense to an outsider.
 Eddie would go

Eddie would TOW!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 12:51:30 pm »
I don't know, I never heard of "sun breaks" as a weather phenomena until I moved to the NW . . .

The weirdest thing I think, is all of the people in the south who use "coke" as a generic word for "soda".
http://popvssoda.com/countystats/total-county.html
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 01:21:12 pm »
I don't know, I never heard of "sun breaks" as a weather phenomena until I moved to the NW . . .

The weirdest thing I think, is all of the people in the south who use "coke" as a generic word for "soda".

On top of that all "tea" is sweet tea unless you beg them to not put 11 tablespoons full of sugar in your 16 oz. glass.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline repo

• Brewer
  • San Diego CA
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 01:24:21 pm »
 Eddie would go

Eddie would TOW!

That made me chuckle

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 02:11:06 pm »

On top of that all "tea" is sweet tea unless you beg them to not put 11 tablespoons full of sugar in your 16 oz. glass.

Paul
When my family from NC was visiting, my niece tried to order "sweet tea" in a restaurant.  They had no idea what she was talking about, and she was confused why they didn't get it. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 02:13:45 pm »

Paul
When my family from NC was visiting, my niece tried to order "sweet tea" in a restaurant.  They had no idea what she was talking about, and she was confused why they didn't get it. :)

I've also been told "I talk TV".  The dang Iowa, no accent, accent. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 02:35:02 pm »
Over by here, we just have da dese, dems and doze.

As in dese guys don't want doze guys gettin any a dem sangwiches.

Youse unerstand what I'm say to youse?

For real.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 05:41:56 pm »
Every time I walk into a grocery store here in Idaho  and ask for a buggy, no one has a clue what I want. They also think I'm crazy for putting malt vinegar on  my french fries. I still am not sure what a jocky box is, but they tell me every car has one.  :-\
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 09:32:01 pm »

Paul

I've also been told "I talk TV".  The dang Iowa, no accent, accent. 

Paul
Yes, the Midwest accent is quite plain. 
Down South, or at least in Texas, shopping carts are called "baskets".  Another Texas saying is, "I'm fixin' to go to the store."  "I'm fixin' to mow the lawn." 
Another Midwest saying is "Pert Near" for "pretty near".  "That cattle's pert near dead."  Or, "I'm pert near ready for bed."
Jesse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 11:33:31 pm »
Every time I walk into a grocery store here in Idaho  and ask for a buggy, no one has a clue what I want. They also think I'm crazy for putting malt vinegar on  my french fries. I still am not sure what a jocky box is, but they tell me every car has one.  :-\
I've got admit, I wouldn't know what you wanted if you asked for a buggy either.  And I know what a jockey box, but most cars don't have them.  Ale Camino on the other hand . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 09:19:05 am »

I liked learning that, the myriad of ways Harry Wappler had to describe rain and convergence effects over the Sound.

My favorite thin in Chicago is the Combination Sandwich -- italian beef and a grilled sausage on a bun.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44:59 am »
Texas-wise it is true that there are people that ask for a "Coke" and expect to get "Dr Pepper". And are genuinely surprised or outraged when they get exactly what they ordered. ??? These people are usually found in the vicinity of a mobile-home drooling on their shirts holding their knives and forks like joy-sticks. Trailer park rednecks.

Normal people say "Soda" and will modify it with the brand at the appropriate time. As in "I'm going to go get a soda- do you want one? A Coke? And you? A Sprite? Okay..."

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis