Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Northern Brewer hops question  (Read 6241 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Northern Brewer hops question
« on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »
Since I don't have any practical experience with this hop I'm relying on descriptions, but I see different descriptions from different sources:
According to http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/hops:
A strong fragrant hop with a rich rough-hewn flavor and aroma, ideal for steam-style beers and ales. Northern Brewer has a unique mint-like evergreen flavor

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hop_varieties:
Woody/earthy/fruity aroma and flavor

Is "mint-like evergreen" the same as "woody/earthy"?

Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Northern Brewer hops question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:54:07 pm »
Well "earthy" means exactly what you think. I'd be careful using these hops as a "flavor" addition or you could very well end up with that flavor dominating your brew. To me earthy tastes like potting soil smells.

I'd use NB as a bittering hop and maybe as a late late addition. It is a popular hop.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:48:13 am »
Anchor Steam is a good example of a beer that showcases NB hops.  To me when I've over hopped with Hallertauer NB hops, my beer taste like fresh cut grass.  But when I've balanced out the addition of HNB, the flavor is subtle fresh cut wood.   

If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 05:49:15 am »
Hmm...I'll have to get some Anchor Steam this weekend then. I was thinking about using NB (0.5 oz @ 60 for about 12 IBU) in a Belgian blond with hallertauer mittelfrueh (1 oz @ 30 for about 8 IBU).

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 06:50:28 am »
I've been a long time user of NB hops in my American Brown Ale.  I've never characterized their flavor or aroma as minty.  I find them to be more woody.  They are a good compliment to Hallertau and Cascade hopping.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 06:55:12 am »
If your using the NB for bittering at 60, you won't taste it much anyway.  20 years ago I used NB almost exclusively to bitter because it was one of the higher alpha hops at the time (or at least higher that I could get).  Don't expect anything but bitter after 60 mins.

Personally, I like NB a lot and I make a lot of Cali Common, loaded with NB but I do know some people don't care for it as flavour hop.  I don't find it "minty" at all but I would agree with "woody".  It's just not floral, not citrusy, not spicy. It's everything else that's not those things. Does that narrow it down? 

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 07:12:11 am »
Good to hear it's not minty like that other description.  I may put a little in at 30 min as well, then. The style guideline for 18A says " Light earthy or spicy hop nose" and "Medium hop and alcohol bitterness to balance. Light hop flavor, can be spicy or earthy."

I guess I should back off the mittelfrueh, but I did want something slightly floral to possibly compliment the yeast character ("Shows a subtle yeast character that may include spicy phenolics, perfumy or honey-like alcohol, or yeasty, fruity esters (commonly orange-like or lemony)").

Offline snowtiger87

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 10:43:06 am »
I have gotten a "minty" flavor out of NB in the past. Most years it is woody / earthy - or maybe it depends on how late each year the particular crop used was harvested.
Brewing since 1989 - BJCP National Rank
Member of KROC and Foam on the Range

Fermenting: Double IPA
Conditioning: Saison du Potiron
On tap: Cider, Cream Ale, Bock, Rye Dunkel Doppelbock, Celebration Clone, Imperial Stout

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 10:52:52 am »
PS: I do late hop and dry hop with NB.  The flavor and aroma come out then.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 06:19:53 pm »
Well, my "research" beers have been purchased...man I love researching new styles!  8)

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 07:16:06 pm »
Research and development. Craft breweries do this all the time!
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.