Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mega Millions jackpot breaks record!  (Read 8401 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Mega Millions jackpot breaks record!
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 11:45:32 am »
If I have one cookie I have one cookie. when that cookie is gone I have 0 cookies. The difference is one.  :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 11:47:34 am »
Always called lotteries "Stupid tax" but would buy $10 worth today just in case the slimmest off chance caused me to win. Too bad it's out of my reach out there in cali.

I wouldn't even bother calling in to work if mine were the winning numbers. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 12:05:07 pm »
If I have one cookie I have one cookie. when that cookie is gone I have 0 cookies. The difference is one.  :)

You're a buzzkill today Keith!
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2012, 12:05:55 pm »
Got mine!
If I win, everyone on the board gets a round on me!

Got mine as well Mike!  Would love to never go in to work again.  Beer camp reunion on me! 

Mike

Hell yeah... Nice to see you join the party Mike. Sorry to hear about Tebow.... But that's another thread  8)
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2012, 12:13:10 pm »
Always called lotteries "Stupid tax" but would buy $10 worth today just in case the slimmest off chance caused me to win. Too bad it's out of my reach out there in cali.

I wouldn't even bother calling in to work if mine were the winning numbers. ::)

Unfortunately, mega-millions is here in Texas too! I'm throwing $10 at it on the way to work...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2012, 12:18:27 pm »
Got mine!
If I win, everyone on the board gets a round on me!

Great...I'll take mine in Germany.  Where should I pick up my plane ticket?   ;D

Sorry, go back and read the fine print.  :D
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2012, 12:43:10 pm »
You guys realize there's only a slightly better chance you will win if you play as opposed to if you don't, right?  ;)

technically speaking you have an infinitely better chance at winning if you play. Even if it's only 1 in 10 million that you will win if you play, it's 0 in 10 million if you don't. infinite is a big number.

Actually, 1 in 10 million isn't close.  Odds are 1 in 179 million so that means that one ticket has a 0.0000000055865921787795 chance of winning :)
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2012, 12:56:07 pm »

okay so, the difference in the number of tickets you are holding is only one. but the rate of change between your odds of winning with a ticket and without is infinite. or undefined. If, once every 10 years or so the lottery people picked a name at random without requireing anyone to buy a ticket then the original statement is correct. if however, you need to buy a ticket to win then the increase is and infinity percent.

That being said I will agree with the modification of the original statement like this

"You guys realize there's only a slightly better chance you will win if you play as opposed to if you don't, right?"

::) ;D

Okay, thought of a better example, referencing your cookie example

If I have 0 cookies and you give my your cookie, I cookie-having-value has increased by an infinite percentage.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:59:39 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2012, 01:00:07 pm »

okay so, the difference in the number of tickets you are holding is only one. but the rate of change between your odds of winning with a ticket and without is infinite. or undefined. If, once every 10 years or so the lottery people picked a name at random without requireing anyone to buy a ticket then the original statement is correct. if however, you need to buy a ticket to win then the increase is and infinity percent.

That being said I will agree with the modification of the original statement like this

"You guys realize there's only a slightly better chance you will win if you play as opposed to if you don't, right?"

Right, the increase is 1, the % increase is infinite.

I have my one ticket.  It's entertainment for me, a dollar spent like this provides more entertainment than spending $10 to watch a crappy movie at the theater.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 01:09:13 pm »
A historic $540 million jackpot is up for grabs Friday as the Mega Millions lottery is living up to its name.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/us/mega-millions/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Ok Ron,

But if you win I want that extra $100 Million

(now at $640)
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 01:11:24 pm »

Right, the increase is 1, the % increase is infinite.

I have my one ticket.  It's entertainment for me, a dollar spent like this provides more entertainment than spending $10 to watch a crappy movie at the theater.

I have 2.  One for me and one for my wife.  (The winning one is mine.  8^) ) 

I rarely buy any kind of lottery ticket but in cases like this where the cost is minimal and the possible payoff is massive it's worth a buck to be in the drawing.  With a ticket it is extremely unlikely I'll win but without one there isn't any chance to get lucky.

Good luck to all ticket holders on the board!

Paul

Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 01:46:27 pm »
A historic $540 million jackpot is up for grabs Friday as the Mega Millions lottery is living up to its name.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/30/us/mega-millions/index.html?hpt=hp_c2
Ok Ron,

But if you win I want that extra $100 Million

(now at $640)

Astonishing.  :o
Ron Price

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 01:48:17 pm »

If I have 0 cookies and you give my your cookie, I cookie-having-value has increased by an infinite percentage.

OK, let's put it this way. I'll bet you $1000 that no one on this forum will win the Mega Millions jackpot.  My hand is now extended for an electronic handshake.  :D

My odds in winning are so close to 100% that I will round it off and call it certain.  ;)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 01:50:58 pm »

OK, let's put it this way. I'll bet you $1000 that no one on this forum will win the Mega Millions jackpot.  My hand is now extended for an electronic handshake.  :D

My odds in winning are so close to 100% that I will round it off and call it certain.  ;)

not in a million years buddy  ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 03:19:43 pm »
Save your money. I'm already holding the winning ticket. :)