Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC 1st Round Judging - Philadelphia Region  (Read 9286 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
NHC 1st Round Judging - Philadelphia Region
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:11:20 am »
I was looking at the AHA Competition calendar and saw that the Philly region was doing 1st round judging today.  Can anyone confirm that?

I don't want to open that whole can of worms from last year, but it's nice to know the region I sent to is on the ball.  I know results aren't posted until everyone is done.

I was worried because I waited until closer to the deadline so they wouldn't be there too early.  But then it was 85+ degrees in the Northeast when I wanted to ship them.  The weather cooled a bit and I sent them...they got there the day before the deadline.

Good luck to all ( especially me  ;) )
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline dbarber

• Brewer
Re: NHC 1st Round Judging - Philadelphia Region
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:01:33 pm »
They are judging tonight and tomorrow.
Dave Barber
Orwigsburg, PA
AHA Member, BJCP National

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:32:29 pm »
I'll be judging for the Philly region all day tomorrow.  :)
Ron Price

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »
I know results aren't posted until everyone is done.
Is this correct? I thought that last year some results were released from the judging sites as they became available. That it was only the official AHA website that didn't post until all were in.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 02:44:12 pm »
Is this correct? I thought that last year some results were released from the judging sites as they became available. That it was only the official AHA website that didn't post until all were in.

It depended on the region.  The PNW region got there's out within a couple days, other not so quick. 

I'm wondering if anything was said to the organizers to hold back scoresheets since it could possibly give some and advantage over other ( i.e. more time to rebrew, etc ).

Again, I don't know...just speculating.
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »
I'll be judging for the Philly region all day tomorrow.  :)

Just remember..I VOTED FOR YOU   ;)
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline Janis

• AHA Project Coordinator/NHC Director
  • Brewer
  • Which came first, the pelican or the beer?
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »

It depended on the region.  The PNW region got there's out within a couple days, other not so quick. 

I'm wondering if anything was said to the organizers to hold back scoresheets since it could possibly give some and advantage over other ( i.e. more time to rebrew, etc ).

Again, I don't know...just speculating.
Hi everyone,

In order to be fair to all entrants in the competition, the results for each and all of the 11 competitions will not be posted on the web until all 11 competitions results are ready to be posted simultaneously.  At the individual First Round competitions the organizers have the option to read the winners list after the judging is completed.  The organizers also send out the score sheets in a timely manner after each competition.

It is true that the entrants in the first competition may have an advantage over those in later competitions, but everyone has the opportunity to re-brew their beers at any time, including ahead of the results being posted on the web.  If your beer qualifies for the Final Round, then you are ready.  If not, then you have another 5 gallon batch of a beer that you love. 

Good luck in the competition!

Cheers,
   Janis
Janis Gross
National Homebrew Competition Director
AHA Project Coordinator
janis@brewersassociation.org

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 01:01:11 pm »
Does anyone know if the "Place Awarded" was put on all the Philly cover sheets that will advance to the second round? Had a couple checked as advancing to the mini-BOS, but wonder if I should be drinking these looser beers or saving them for the second round.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 01:02:55 pm »
If you had a First, Second, or Third your beer, mead or cider goes to the second round.  Mini-BoS, drink up.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline tesgüino

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 01:23:05 pm »
If you had a First, Second, or Third your beer, mead or cider goes to the second round.  Mini-BoS, drink up.
Yeah, but there's been some question about if they put the place (1st, 2nd or 3rd) on the cover sheet or left it blank so that you wouldn't know until Janis releases everyones information at the same time. I think that places were announced at the judging center, just not sure if they made it to all the score sheets.

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »
Yeah, but there's been some question about if they put the place (1st, 2nd or 3rd) on the cover sheet or left it blank so that you wouldn't know until Janis releases everyones information at the same time. I think that places were announced at the judging center, just not sure if they made it to all the score sheets.

That would suck since I've been drinking my entries with no chance of rebrewing.  I'm sure they would have made it to the sheet however.

I have to say they definately were on the ball this year...Thank you!!

edit:  I would send Josh Weikert, the organizer an email for clarification.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:46:08 pm by theDarkSide »
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo

Offline brewmanator

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 01:48:56 pm »
We made the mistake of getting rid of our reserve bottles last year and had to rebrew in order to send in our second round beers.

Don't count on the cover sheet to let you know if you have advanced.  We had two entries last year that advanced, neither were indicated on the cover sheet. 
- Mike

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 07:12:30 pm »
When I usually get my sheets back, Janis has posted.  Didn't know that some regions don't have the places filled out if they finish that early.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jweikert

• 1st Kit
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 06:10:09 am »
REGARDING PLACE INDICATORS ON SCORE SHEETS (Sorry if that looks all shout-y and authoritarian, just wanted to make sure everyone saw it!):

Our judges were told to go ahead and put a place indicator on the cover sheet if that beer advanced in their flight (though even some of them were unaware that this was OK), and MOST did.  I say most, because there were some flights where this didn't get done, and I take full responsibility for it.  In their zeal to get scoresheets stapled, sorted, and stuffed (which I told them was their primary goal at the end of the day, so that attendees could pick them up then) or because they were concerned that sheets would get lost in the confusion, some stewards removed the scoresheets from the table before mini-BOS had completed, and those sheets MAY not have been noted as finishing in an advancing position.

Most, though, did indicate whether a beer was advancing - and next year they all will (it's at the top of my after-action report).  To be on the safe side, hang onto a little bit of any beer that scored over 30 (the minimum to advance) - you can drink them in commiseration if there's no happy surprises on 4 May.

Thanks, all, and best of luck.

Prost,
Josh Weikert
Organizer - NHC 1st Round (Philadelphia)

Offline jweikert

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2012, 06:18:41 am »
One other note: All scoresheets were sent the Monday after the competition ended, and all should have arrived by now (about 9 days later).  I've only had one kick back (bad address), but if you haven't received yours, feel free to e-mail me (josh.weikert@gmail.com) and I'll make inquiries at the post office!

Prost,
Josh