Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: One man's trash truly is another man's treasure.  (Read 2539 times)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
One man's trash truly is another man's treasure.
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:49:02 am »
The other night I came home from work and found a bag of empty tall necks on my front deck. As I was peeling the labels off of them after a good soaking, it occurred to me, some people wouldn't like finding that sort of thing on their deck.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: One man's trash truly is another man's treasure.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:52:35 am »
I sometimes find empty wine bottles on the front porch, and I like it.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:04:46 pm »
All I ever find are peoples's empty Bud Light and Coors Light cans in my yard.  And the occasional abandoned cat or dog.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:14:43 pm »
All I ever find are people's empty Bud Light and Coors Light cans in my yard.  And the occasional abandoned cat or dog.

I only seem to collect fast food wrappers, beer cans and things abandoned by other people's cats and dogs.  >:(

I have been gifted boxes of long necks in the box of truck at work though.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 01:43:27 pm »
People like to dump their appliances, tires, and mattresses on my land. One time someone dumped a fridge here, and it still worked! I was pretty excited about that. It's holding my yeast and hops now, and bottles I'm cold conditioning.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:05:19 pm »
People like to dump their appliances, tires, and mattresses on my land. One time someone dumped a fridge here, and it still worked! I was pretty excited about that. It's holding my yeast and hops now, and bottles I'm cold conditioning.
It still works?!  I want it back!
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 02:10:32 pm »
We have a reverse trash day every year. 

Its really called the Spring Clean Up but is often referred to as "the East Sider's Christmas".  The east side of Des Moines is made up of much older neighborhoods and takes extreme pride in and ownership of the State Fair.  The west side is all the "rich" people in the suburbs. (Neither of these is really true of course but don't start this argument while you're here.)  Anyway... 

We put out whatever stuff we have that needs to go but can't go in the normal trash pickup up on the curb and then we sit outside and watch all the beat up cars and rusty trucks with trailers troll through the neighborhood and pick through the stuff.  On your normal trash day the garbage folks come through with dump trucks and pay loaders to pickup what's left.

On our block I give a six pack to the house that "sells out" fastest. 

;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 02:38:35 pm »
We put out whatever stuff we have that needs to go but can't go in the normal trash pickup up on the curb and then we sit outside and watch all the beat up cars and rusty trucks with trailers troll through the neighborhood and pick through the stuff. 

That sounds like every trash day in downtown Denver.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 03:08:09 pm »
Shoot.  The junk men cruise the alleys here on a daily basis with trucks stacked with fridges, washers, dryers, etc.

When I was younger, we cut up some parts cars in the garage and put them out in the alley in sections.  Gone. 

Anything metal is usually gone within an hour or two.

They even tried to snatch the tire when I was changing a flat on my wife's Jeep.  I jacked up the truck, took off the tire, went into the garage for a rag or something and heard the junk man lock up his brakes.

When I came out, he was snatching the tire.  He was unsuccessful.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:31 pm »
Back when I lived in the 'hood' I learned fairly quickly that anything that could be recycled for money should go on the street next to the recycling bin/ trash bin rather than in it cause someone would find it one way or another. If I left if on the street my trash and recycling would generaly stay in the bin. If not, not so much.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 03:18:15 pm »
Shoot.  The junk men cruise the alleys here on a daily basis with trucks stacked with fridges, washers, dryers, etc.

When I was younger, we cut up some parts cars in the garage and put them out in the alley in sections.  Gone. 

Anything metal is usually gone within an hour or two.

They even tried to snatch the tire when I was changing a flat on my wife's Jeep.  I jacked up the truck, took off the tire, went into the garage for a rag or something and heard the junk man lock up his brakes.

When I came out, he was snatching the tire.  He was unsuccessful.

same here.  i was dropping my brew for the nhc out in aurora and drove by one of the scrap yards.  there was a pile of old bicycles the size of my house.

incidentally, any bottles i have found in my yard or deck were usually left there by me and i just forgot :P
Don AHA member

Offline brushvalleybrewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • Centre Hall, PA
    • Brush Valley Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 05:32:21 pm »
We have a reverse trash day every year. 

Its really called the Spring Clean Up but is often referred to as "the East Sider's Christmas".

They call it Riff Raff Day around here. When I first moved here I thought it was just a way to insult the people involved, until I saw it in the newspaper… “Don’t forget, Thursday is Riff Raff Day.” Lots of folks go out and pick up heavily used and slightly functional stuff. Great way to clean out the house… or pick up a still-working fridge.
In a humble log cabin off an unregarded back road, somewhere, deep in the heart of Pennsylvania’s hill country, we find our intrepid hero — the Brush Valley Brewer.