Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: NHC - Pre-conference events  (Read 4840 times)

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
NHC - Pre-conference events
« on: March 30, 2012, 12:23:37 pm »
So, I just saw the pre-conference events, and I am pretty excited. I don't think I will be going on any of the brewery tours, but I might do the eastside brewery tour (Tour E) just for grins. My wife and I will assuredly be attending the Pike Brewing company Beer & Food Pairing extravaganza. It gets me out of the doghouse for going to NHC, because that dinner happens to be on our anniversary. What events are you planning on attending?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: NHC - Pre-conference events
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:34:20 pm »
I have a question about the pre conference events if anyone here can answer.  Does each tour have one departure time or will there be busses leaving from the hotel at different times?  I don't see anything available for someone flying in mid afternoon Wednesday, except perhaps the BJCP reception, but that link takes me to the 2011 San Diego reception.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »
I am not a part of the organizing committee, but the way it reads seems like there is only one departure time. Knowing where most of those breweries are, I think the times they posted are for the whole tour.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 01:47:41 am »
Yes, they are single tours that leave at a certain time.  Its not really feasible to do a tour for people arriving later on Wednesday, although the self guided tours should still be great.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline little.dipper

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:50:51 pm »
Is that the way the hop yard tour will work as well? I'm planning to arrive Tuesday for the sole purpose of that tour. If it is only one time and is fairly early I may be cutting it close.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 11:59:54 pm »
Is that the way the hop yard tour will work as well? I'm planning to arrive Tuesday for the sole purpose of that tour. If it is only one time and is fairly early I may be cutting it close.
If you want to do the hop tour, I strongly recommend coming on Monday.  It leaves at 8 or 9 AM and is gone for 12 hours.  Yakima is in Washington, but not that close.  It is more than a 2 hour drive.  There will be a lot to do once you get there, but it makes for a long day.  It will be awesome though, if there was one tour I could do it would be this one.

Jeff, I forgot to mention, the area around the hotel has quite a bit to do.  There is a great Rock Bottom a couple of blocks away, and right next door to that is the Taphouse with 160 taps.  Besides those places, most every bar in walking distance will have good beer on tap, that's just the way it is around here.

Also, special for forum members: if you want to get some awesome, and I mean AWESOME Taiwanese food, go to Facing East right near the hotel.  So good.  The place next right door is supposed to be great too, but we've never been.  I don't want to tell everyone because it is crowded enough as it is.  Should be fine for lunch though.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:17:57 am »
Jeff, I forgot to mention, the area around the hotel has quite a bit to do.  There is a great Rock Bottom a couple of blocks away, and right next door to that is the Taphouse with 160 taps.  Besides those places, most every bar in walking distance will have good beer on tap, that's just the way it is around here.

I've been to that Rock Bottom.  It's good.
I checked on public transport yesterday and found that there's a bus that goes almost directly to Big Time in about 30 minutes, so I'm happy with that.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 01:45:40 pm »
Just purchased tickets for the Hopland Tour and a Wednesday brewery tour.  Woo Hoo!  Yeah baby!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 02:08:35 pm »
Got my tickets to the beer and food pairing dinner at Pike!

Punatic- which tour are you taking on Wednesday?

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 02:24:27 pm »
For those who have taken the tours in previous years, does the end time represent when the bus returns to the hotel, or when you leave the last brewery?

I'm thinking about booking a brewery tour on Wednesday, but I want to make sure I'm back to catch the bus to the Brewing Network Anniversary party.

I'm going to Disney this month, but I'm treating that as something I need to get out of the way so NHC can get here sooner...terrible I know.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 02:27:37 pm »
I'll be in the Pacific NW for a whole week.  Does anyone know if I could do the various hop farms "on my own" Sat-Wed before the NHC?  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:47:35 pm »
I'll be in the Pacific NW for a whole week.  Does anyone know if I could do the various hop farms "on my own" Sat-Wed before the NHC?  Any suggestions would be welcome.

Most of the farms I know of aren't really set up to do tours if it isn't something special.  Maybe if you called ahead you could work something out.  I think the Rogue hop farm in Independence OR might be the exception.  Or check out the Hop'n'Bed....http://rogue.com/locations/hb.php
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jim

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »
For those of you who are coming to the conference early, the Washington Brewers Festival will be the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday before the conference.  It wil be held in Redmond's Marymore Park, just north of Bellevue. 

Offline tfries

• Cellarman
  • Cheshire, OR
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 07:44:07 pm »
My wife and I got tickets for the Pike Dinner.  I see that it is now sold out.

Cascade Brewers Society

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 09:29:50 am »
For those of you who are coming to the conference early, the Washington Brewers Festival will be the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday before the conference.  It wil be held in Redmond's Marymore Park, just north of Bellevue.

I may do that--I've never been to that festival.  Are all three days of the festival the same (brewers/beers), or does it change with each day?  How much time is needed for the WBF?  Is there a link for the WBF?