Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Homebrew Store In Evanston IL  (Read 5112 times)

Offline CB-Illinois

• Cellarman
Homebrew Store In Evanston IL
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »
I am interested in opening a homebrew supply shop in Evanston IL, or the very northern part of Chicago.  Do any of you guys in the area ever find yourself wishing there was a homebrew supply shop close by?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:55:05 pm by CB-Illinois »

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: Homebrew Store In Evanston IL
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 08:24:33 pm »
I might stop by since I'm in Evanston every now and then.  I live in Oak Park and work in the Loop so I often go to Brew and Grow by Racine and Madison.  Good luck.

Offline piszkiewiczp

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 08:52:33 pm »
You might be locating a little close to the competition. Brew & Grow Chicago, 3625 N Kezie Ave, & Brew Camp, 2039 W Belle Plaine Ave, aren't that far away. I vaguely recall reading once that a population of around a half million is necessary to support one LHBS. You might need to be further north to avoid competition for your half million.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 01:38:00 am »
I didn't know about Brew Camp (must be new?), but when I lived in Chicago my experiences with Brew & Grow were not positive. Add to that that they're in the middle of nowhere as far as transit goes... Where in Evanston are you planning on putting this thing? As a Loyola alumni who treked to Evanston every weekend (Loyola red -> Howard -> Purple) you would really need to be within easy easy walking distance of the Purple line, and preferably not further north than Davis. Remember there's also express yellow line service that could serve people coming from the loop as well.

Let me know if you end up opening the shop, I've got a few friends I can send your way.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:28:54 am »
Phil - Brew Camp is new.  Maybe a year or two.

Brew & Grow has expanded and has more locations, but none of them are particularly convenient for me.  Never had a bad experience there.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline CB-Illinois

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 02:43:05 pm »
Thanks all, I too am a little concerned about the competition.

I am considering a spot that is close to the Howard St station (where the purple, red and yellow lines meet). 

Phil, I will let you know if and when I get this thing open...

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 02:45:02 pm by CB-Illinois »

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:21:55 pm »
Phil - Brew Camp is new.  Maybe a year or two.

Brew & Grow has expanded and has more locations, but none of them are particularly convenient for me.  Never had a bad experience there.
I never went to the old B&G downtown, as I heard too many bad things about it. The new store in the West Loop is pretty good, but not convenient.

The south 'burbs are dying for a good LHBS, but that's probably nowhere near the OP's home. There's nothing south of Beverly and as nice as those (unnamed) guys are, I don't shop with them as they're always out of stuff.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Offline evandy

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 08:15:10 pm »
I might be worried about how close Evanston is to Libertyville.  There's a great homebrew store up there called Perfect Brewing.  They're about a minute off of I-94, and only a few exits up from Evanston/Skokie.  That said, if you are closer to the lake and Northwestern, you should have a good basis for customers.

I would think about establishing and/or pairing up with a local homebrew club, and teaching a bunch of the students how to brew on a semi-regular basis if you go with Evanston.

You should give PB a try, regardless.  They share space with a local woodworker, and often have carvings and furniture for sale in the same showroom as all the brewing ingredients.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:16:45 pm by evandy »

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 02:14:57 am »
Thanks all, I too am a little concerned about the competition.

I am considering a spot that is close to the Howard St station (where the purple, red and yellow lines meet). 

Phil, I will let you know if and when I get this thing open...

If Howard St is still as ghetto as it was when I was at Loyola, I would be careful expecting students to come out if it's too much of a walk from the station. I remember though that there's a Target and a bunch of other stuff west on Howard, that seemed like an OK area.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 03:38:33 pm »
I am interested in opening a homebrew supply shop in Evanston IL, or the very northern part of Chicago.  Do any of you guys in the area ever find yourself wishing there was a homebrew supply shop close by?

I live in Glenview and am currently traveling to Libertyville for my supplies, I would love something closer to me but, honestly, Evanston is more difficult to get to, for Libertyville I just pop up 294 and I'm there in about 15-20 minutes. I know there are quite a few of us Home brewers on the Northshore so you might want to think about a little further north.......like Glenview!  ;D
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »

I live in Glenview and am currently traveling to Libertyville for my supplies, I would love something closer to me but, honestly, Evanston is more difficult to get to, for Libertyville I just pop up 294 and I'm there in about 15-20 minutes. I know there are quite a few of us Home brewers on the Northshore so you might want to think about a little further north.......like Glenview!  ;D

Hey, I spent the first 8 years of my life in Glenview.  We were one golf course away from the Naval Air Station, so fighter jets used to fly so close you hardly even noticed.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 10:09:46 am »
If Howard St is still as ghetto as it was when I was at Loyola

It's cleaned up a bit, Phil.  A bit.

I don't go there, though I did frequent the Howard Bowl back in the day.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:10:00 am »
the brew and grow in bolingbrook is good
i really like the new chicago brew werks in plainfield.
Don AHA member