Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP and carbonation volumes  (Read 15988 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Re: BJCP and carbonation volumes
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 04:26:53 pm »
I wouldn't really call what I responded to you via email as the "official word". 8)

Oh, sorry...your response earlier in the thread didn't indicate your affiliation with the BJCP, so when I received an email from you I didn't put 2 and 2 together.

I corrected the post...  :P
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2012, 08:44:47 am »
I haven't had bad luck with tastybrew but the part about beer temp is the most nebulous part of the calculation.  You use the temp during the fermentation, but I think if you let a beer sit for quite awhile afterwards then it probably gases out to whatever the ambient temp allows.

I wouldn't think a dubbel would have 4vol CO2, but I certainly wouldn't carb it to 2vol either.

I have always used the highest temp the beer has experience post active fermentation.
I'd suppose if the beer sat for a few days at a given temp it might have tme to equilibrate to near what that CO2 level would be.  There might be a little super-saturation thing going though, plus whatever little bit of pressure from the airlock exerts would increase the level a bit.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline phunhog

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2012, 08:10:35 pm »
I have always wondered how judges deal with some of the Belgian styles that require an extremely high carbonation volume (4+). Obviously regular bottles with crown caps are just an accident ready to happen.  I have never entered, say a BGSA,into a comp but I don't think it would be quite the same if it didn't have a very high level of carbonation. Do most people just enter "under-carbonated" beer knowing that the judges will understand.