Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bottle woes.  (Read 3504 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Bottle woes.
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:16:31 pm »
Over a month ago, I contacted my local wine shop where I bought bottles before and asked for 96 bottles to do my NHC round 1 entries.  The Canadian contest has to be there by April 5.
They told me that they could get them but that the bottle place was closed for a week to update their computer system.  So I waited a week and went in the shop and they said "Oh yes, we'll get them for you".

(Bet you can see where this is headed).

I called late last week and I was told that the girl who does the ordering was out.  I called Monday and was told that they were on order and would arrive today.  Then, at 4:30 today I got a call that they didn't arrive and no explanation as to why.  But, regardless I have 12 beers ready to bottle on Sunday to ship Monday and no bottles and no where to get any (busy all day tomorrow and I can't get out of it even if I found some).  PO'd doesn't even begin to explain my mood this evening.

So, good luck to you all.  I guess I won't be entering the NHC Round 1 this year.  I only have two beer bottled but I really wanted to shoot for the "Rookie of the Year" award that is only open to first time participants in the Canadian contest.  So, I want to send more than 2.  Guess I'll be ready for next year and I've got a year to find a reliable supplier.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Bottle woes.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 09:02:22 pm »
Buy full ones, empty them, retask them.

I have NEVER bought bottles for bottling my homebrew.  Nearly everything I bottle goes in Sierra Nevada or Dogfish Head bottles.  Extra bonus points for bomber bottles (although they are to big for competition).
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:19:05 pm »
Yeah what's the cheapest beer you can get? If you have Costco up there, they have their own brand of beer sold here for $17 per 24, not much more than empty bottles.
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:25:23 am »
I once got a case of empties that were returned for the deposit at my local store for the price of the deposit.
You could try that at a store or bar.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:09:06 am »
Buy full ones, empty them, retask them.

I do this as much as I can but I needed about 65 bottles and I certainly didn't have that many. 

As for the cheapest beer we have up here...good one.  Clearly you've never bought beer in Canada ;)  Problem I have is, very very few of the breweries up here use pry-top bottles.  The only ones that do are our few craft breweries and you're looking at 50+ dollars for 24.  So, I don't buy much.

Whenever I'm in the States, I always bring back a case of DFH partly because I like the beer but also for the bottles.

I'm not really comfortable with the idea of buying back empties that I didn't drink.  Sort of grosses me out thinking about what I'm washing out of the bottles....ew!

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:10:07 am »
Well that sucks!  >:(
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:48:54 am »
I try to pick up empties at the finish of local homebrew competitions.  I usually get three or four cases and wash them out with a jet bottle washer and hot water as soon as possible.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 12:00:59 pm »
These days I only buy pry-offs and I also avoid brands that have difficult to remove labels- especially foiled bottles.

Too bad about the LHBS not stepping up. I'm sure it was just one of those things that wasn't meant to be at that point in time.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 12:27:19 pm »
Soaking in an oxyclean solution removes bottle labels nicely (and any fuzzies that may have grown inside the bottle too).
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »
These days I only buy pry-offs and I also avoid brands that have difficult to remove labels- especially foiled bottles.

Shorts in Michigan is by far the worst I've encountered.  I think they're stuck on with some sort of mutant toad slime, then varnished, welded and laminated before getting baked on.  I've tried soaking them in Oxyclean, TSP, bleach and a mild phosphoric acid bath - not concurrently - hoping that maybe pH was the trick.  Not coming off.

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 01:01:05 pm »
How many bottles does the Canadian comp require? In the US, it's only one for the first round. Or are you shooting for the Ninkasi and the rookie award.
Mark Gres

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 04:17:48 pm »

Shorts in Michigan is by far the worst I've encountered.  I think they're stuck on with some sort of mutant toad slime, then varnished, welded and laminated before getting baked on.  I've tried soaking them in Oxyclean, TSP, bleach and a mild phosphoric acid bath - not concurrently - hoping that maybe pH was the trick.  Not coming off.

another beer is Mad Anthony, the labels are impossible to remove without scrubbing each one with a metal brush or steel scrubbing pad, its ridiculous.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 06:06:01 pm »
another beer is Mad Anthony, the labels are impossible to remove without scrubbing each one with a metal brush or steel scrubbing pad, its ridiculous.

add Blue Mountain and Weyerbacher to that list.  Takes a small thermonuclear device to get those labels off
Joe

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 10:24:02 pm »
Here's a list I've been compiling in a thread on the Northern Brewer forums. Might be appropriate here to some extent:

By the way, thanks for starting a post about whose labels are easy/hard to peel. I've been looking for a list like this. Here's what we have so far:

Easy to peel: Samuel Smith, Red Hook, Sierra Nevada, Samuel Adams, New Belgium (warning - possible cracks), Bell's, Guinness Draught (11.2oz bottle), Three Floyds, Goose Island, Schells, Deschutes, and I'll add Bass Ale, Ommegang and Saranac here

Hard to peel: Brooklyn, Summit, Founders, Firestone, Shorts, Mad Anthony, Blue Mountain, Weyerbacher and I'll add Dark Horse and Harpoon
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2012, 11:12:31 pm »
A lot (if not all) Rogue beers are silkscreened, so are H.U.B. Beers, and the new belgium lips of faith . They are impossible to remove the labels  >:(