General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

Controlled Temp. Fermentation Equipment

(1/2) > >>

my99thtry:
I would like to start doing controlled temperature fermentation.  This will enable me to brew all year and it is part of some feedback that I have received from some of you on the message board here.

I am looking for input on a good refrigerator that will fit a 6-gallon bucket or 5-gallon carboy.  AND it should fit in my apartment.  So a chest cooler or full-size refrigerator is out.

It does not seem like a lot of the mini fridges out there will fit the bucket w/air-lock, but maybe some of you know of or use an appropriate sized model.

Has anyone used a wine fridge?  It seems that would eliminate the need for an additional temperature controller since you could probably achieve the desired ale and lager fermenting temperatures.

roffenburger:
I have a sanyo 4912. My bucket fits nicely with an airlock.

majorvices:
I recommend going with a chest freezer or an upright freezer - usually they are cheaper than fridges. And you can lager in them. Go ahead and get one than can accommodate 10 gallon batches.

bluesman:
Bigger is better. At least that is what I have found. Allow room for expansion and/or multiple buckets, carboys or kegs. I have a 7.5c.f. chest freezer with a Johnson controller that can hold up to two 7.5 gallon buckets and two kegs.

skiwithg:
I found a wine refrigerator on CL for $75 that fits a bucket or carboy nicely.   Larger than a dorm refrigerator, but still pretty compact.

Cheers,
Glenn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version