Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast advice for a Belgian Blond (18A)  (Read 11258 times)

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
  • I drank what? - Socrates
Yeast advice for a Belgian Blond (18A)
« on: March 30, 2012, 06:41:56 pm »
JZ suggests WLP500 or wyeast 1214. Reading the descriptions of these and comparing to some of the other Belgian yeasts I really don't know which to try. I was looking at 3522 (ardennes) but Denny mentioned something about a tartness with that one in another thread.

So, I'm open to suggestions...
Intra cervisiam est deus.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
Re: Yeast advice for a Belgian Blond (18A)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27:39 pm »
My favorite Belgian yeast is 3787, hands down. I actually prefer it in lower-gravity Belgians, and go with 1762 for bigger Belgians. I've made just about every Belgian style with every Belgian yeast, and those are those are the two I keep coming back to. But I've never met a Belgian yeast I didn't like. Any of them will be great.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:33:08 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 07:29:24 pm »
I just made a blonde with 3787.  Haven't tasted it yet, but I've liked this yeast in the past.

I like the Ardennes, but it really shines in a tripel.

It might work in a blonde.  I don't think it works in a darker beer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 07:56:04 pm »
JZ suggests WLP500 or wyeast 1214. Reading the descriptions of these and comparing to some of the other Belgian yeasts I really don't know which to try. I was looking at 3522 (ardennes) but Denny mentioned something about a tartness with that one in another thread.

So, I'm open to suggestions...

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php#1a

Comments: Similar strength as a dubbel, similar character as a Belgian Strong Golden Ale or Tripel, although a bit sweeter and not as bitter. Often has an almost lager-like character, which gives it a cleaner profile in comparison to the other styles. Belgians use the term “Blond,” while the French spell it “Blonde.” Most commercial examples are in the 6.5 – 7% ABV range. Many Trappist table beers (singles or Enkels) are called “Blond” but these are not representative of this style.

I just made a Belgian Tripple / Blonde using the ardennes yeast strain. I'm not a too much of a style nazi. However, I found that the white labs version of  3522 (ardennes) is a cleaner fermenter than WLP500.  Which is why I would choose 3522 ardennes yeast strain.

I'm a big fan of WLP500 in Tripples, because it kicks up fruity esters, and a bunch of spicy phenols. But after trying the ardennes yeast strain, I would go with the ardennes strain for a blond because it's a very well balanced strain for the bolnde. 
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 08:02:34 pm »
I just made a blonde with 3787.  Haven't tasted it yet, but I've liked this yeast in the past.

It might work in a blonde. I don't think it works in a darker beer.

In my opinion it most certainly does.  I'm currently on the 8th generation of this yeast strain, I keep on reusing  previous yeast cakes.  I most certainly recommend Ardennes yeast strain in Darker Belgains, Strong dark Belgains and blondes.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 06:54:55 am »
Sean posted this link on another thread: http://traffic.libsyn.com/basicbrewing/KYBelgianYeastExperiment.pdf

I'm glad to see I'm not crazy to enjoy 1762 in my dark strongs. I always felt that 3787 gave a pretty strong clove character, though, so maybe I am crazy.

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:20:47 am »
Wow thanks! That's very interesting. Turns out the one that they said gave the "classic" Belgian taste (550) is supposed to be equivalent to the one I was eyeing at first (3522). I guess that would be a good one to start with. My LHBS only stocks White Labs so I'll see if they carry 550.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:34:56 am »
I'm glad to see I'm not crazy to enjoy 1762 in my dark strongs.

1762 is the Rochefort yeast.  Rochefort makes dark strongs, so why would it be crazy?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:39:35 am »

It might work in a blonde. I don't think it works in a darker beer.

In my opinion it most certainly does.  I'm currently on the 8th generation of this yeast strain, I keep on reusing  previous yeast cakes.  I most certainly recommend Ardennes yeast strain in Darker Belgains, Strong dark Belgains and blondes.

Fair enough.  I'm not saying it makes a bad beer.  But I've done side by side fermentations and for my money the Chimay or Rochefort yeast make much better dubbels and darker beers.

My Ardennes dubbel is good.  Just not as good.

Ardennes is currently all I'm using for tripels.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 09:59:55 am »
Joe,
 I agree that Chimay or Rochefort yeast are very good for darker beers as well.

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 10:56:14 am »
1762 is the Rochefort yeast.  Rochefort makes dark strongs, so why would it be crazy?

I don't really trust my palate, and I worry about giving bad advice. It's just nice to see other people arrive at the same conclusion.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2012, 09:16:13 pm »
I use White Labs 550 for my Belgian Blond.
Brew on

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
Yeast advice for a Belgian Blond (18A)
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 04:12:55 pm »
Ron and I used WLP530 in our blonde collaboration.  This is our go to yeast for most Belgian styles.  Leffe has 530 character IMHO.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ekwwz0
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline ccfoo242

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 10:25:58 am »
I used 550 and man that stuff smells awesome! I'm normally a hop huffer but for this one I'm a yeast huffer!  :P

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 09:44:21 am »
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm struggling with this very issue this morning.

I have slurries of Ardennes, Chimay, Trappist High Gravity and Unibroue...

Currently leaning towards the Ardennes.

Has anyone used Chimay yeast in a blonde?  That's my freshest, as it is currently sitting underneath a dubbel.